Science Forums

Model Of The Atom

pinkfloydfan888

Does anybody know who first drew (not just described but actually drew, even roughly) a model of the atom like the one below, and when?

I'd appreciate it if anybody can point me to an evidence.

This is the Rutherford-Bohr model of the atom, which is Rutherford's 1911 model as amended by Bohr in 1913. I expect it was Bohr who first drew it, though I cannot find evidence confirming this. 

Although shown to be wrong little more than a decade later, it caught the popular imagination and is still found today as a symbol of anything vaguely "atomic". 

By 1926, this model was overtaken by de Broglie's concept of "matter waves" and Schrödinger's equation for the hydrogen atom. This gave us the modern concept of electrons in atoms as smeared out into probability waves, which take on a series of standing wave patterns (spherical harmonics). These look something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital#/media/File:Hydrogen_Density_Plots.png

P.S. I used to listen to Pink Floyd too, when I was at university learning this stuff. :)

Edited by exchemist