• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sonpet

sonpet

Curious

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

What mattress type is the best? Does Serta mattresses help back pain?

#2 coppers

coppers

Curious

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

The best mattress type will be the most suitable for your body and sleeping position and comfortable for you. I can only recommend to pay attention on latex and foam types because they are high quality and modern. Serta brand is quite popular, it provides large selection of stiffness and comfort options from several models in each series. There are some models with special properties that help to reduce back pain. You can find more info in this review.

#3 Deepwater6

Deepwater6

Explaining

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

Ironic you would ask such a question for me. I've have mid to upper back pain for 30+yrs and had learned to live with the sometimes sharp, but forever present dull aching pain that I have had to endure all this time. Since I don't know what your back issues arise from and I'm not a doctor I won't venture to tell you what you should get. All I can do is tell you what I did and what happened to me.

When I had rough patches in the past the only thing that would help me was extra stretching than my usual routine and sleeping on the floor for extra support. I usually take one muscle relaxer before bed, although the doctor has it down for three times a day I feel once at night is sufficient. After sitting in my office most of everyday hunched over the computer under stress, I can literarily feel the back become more spastic and knotted.

So roughly a year ago I bought a new Siemens mattress. As an analogy It's basically a piece of 1"plywood with a thin pad on top, or at least it feels that way and I love it. For a few months I felt and slept better then ever, but about 3 months ago something changed.

I wasn't involved in an accident and don't remember injuring it by lifting something but my legs and lower back started to give me unbearable pain. I mean to say unbearable pain, If I had to walk out of my office to go to another area in my workplace I would need to pre-plan the desks, railings, even doorknobs along the way I could grab on to so I could take the weight off the legs to some degree so I could make it there. I could stand no longer than 5 minutes without some sort of support. Ordinary errands such as going food shopping were out of the question. I was afraid I wouldn't make it back out of the store.

The (pain management) back doctor I had been seeing for all those years of upper back pain started moving his injections down to the lower area. but it had no effect. When he sent me for an MRI the results showed L4 and L5 crushing down on the nerve, spinal stenosis, arthritis, and two cysts on either side of the lower spine. He immediately referred me to a surgeon. The surgeon would now like to go in clean-up what he can, then separate the vertebrae to install rods and screws to keep them that way.

Of course I tried acupuncture and a Chiropractor with no luck at first. There was also no shortage of people telling me what I ought to do so I can solve the problem which although good intentioned got very annoying after a bit.

At first I went to a young lady Chiropractor that I had been seeing for years. Although she is very good I never felt she was getting to the root of some parts of the misalignments. She was just too petite and didn't seem to have the leverage to manipulate some spots deep in my spine.

So today I saw a new Chiropractor who is very good and I'm considering giving this guy some time to do some treatments and delay the surgery which is scheduled for Friday. This surgery had a full day of pre-admission testing and comes with at least a 2-3 day hospital stay along with months of rehab. The surgeon has already reserved the operating room for 8hrs on that day and the hospital is expecting me as well. So it's late in the game and I have a decision to make about what path of treatment I'm going to take from here and I have to make that decision quickly.

Looking back, I can't help but wonder if it was the mattress that helped my upper back but put my lower spine in a position to wreak havoc with my Sciatic/lower nerves. This probably won't be much help to you other than a warning to be careful on what you select, but there it is. Good luck.

#4 exchemist

exchemist

Creating

• Members
  • 1764 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:21 AM

What mattress type is the best? Does Serta mattresses help back pain?

I don't know that brand. What I have learned from experience is there is more to settling back pain than a firm mattress. You need something with a resistance suitable for your body weight. I can get a really bad back problem from a bed that is too hard.  

#5 sonpet

sonpet

Curious

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:41 AM

Thank you for your answers!