Science Forums

What happens after life??

Tim_Lou

Originally posted by: deamonstar

near-death experiences are real. however, this does not prove that there is a soul or true life after death.

the human brain is a complex organ driven by electro-chemical reactions. when a person dies all of these chemicals are still present in the brain and continue to allow the brain to function for some time even after breathing and the heart stops. it is for this very reason that a person can be revived after a short time through c.p.r. or defribullation.

when the person is revived, he/she may be able to recall some of the mental images that they had during the time when they were technicaly 'dead'. this is NOT to say that everyone who is revived in this manner will be able to recall these types of memories and, is in fact a rare occurance indeed for anyone to be able to recall these experiences. though it is only when a person can remeber those 'visions' that the experience is sensationalized. and a lack of understanding of the processes of the human brain can lead a person to conclude that these expeiriences are due to a 'higher power'.

though the brain can still function after the body dies, it does not continue eternally. the decomposition of the chemicals in the brain takes time (enviromental factors such as temperature and the condition of the body at the time of death can greatly increase or reduce the rate of decomposition).

the death of the brain begins the moment that it stops recieving oxygen and ends when the different chemicals in the brain have all stopped reacting with each other (have become nuetral). however, some time during the interim, the brain will become too damaged for a person to be revived with a chance of normalcy in life, and after a certain point, though the brain may still function, it will be too damaged to support the bodys' other functions (such as breathing, the heart and other organs) leading to organ failure and, inevitably, death.

thats not right. those peole are really dead. i read this in the book: one person is pronounced dead b/c of some sort of car accidents. after an hour or something, it was sent to some studies to exam it. the heart beeper they attached for fun recorded something. people came over and do whatever.... he was revived. he told the people that he saw the whole human history as a reward of coming back to earth.

there is another example: a person is pronounced dead for whatever reason. he was sent to someplace to get frozen (those crazy place that they think the people can be revived soon). after 3 days of being frozen. some guys examed him. his eyes opened!! those examers thought it was some mental image and they close them. it opened again!! again and again. he was revived soon. he told the people what he saw during these days. he saw whatever god or whatever people, and a life review and all those things. (its too long to say here).

why do you thing the brain can function when its frozen for 3 days? somebody actually saw those doctors or people around them, and their description matched. you think a almost dead person can see stuffs? and can see them at a different view point?? its not b/c of drugs, or lack of oxygen, no one can prove why... its not simple as that. maybe you think those people were not really dead, that means you think that the hosiptal is trying to kill them?? they are not professional?? they must do a lot of stuff to say that a person is dead, dead means its all dead, it means brains and hearts are stoped, they stoped functioning...

the only thing you can say is, the book is fake, which i have nothing to say about it....

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The only thing you can say is the book is fake”. It’s not as simple as that!!!!!! What you have posted is not supported by proof, the containments of a book don’t necessarily carry legitimate authentication. I can easily cite many books that have no scientific value, that doesn’t mean that I have said something witch can stand as proof or even as evidence, regarding a matter of conversation.

Yeah. I was basically hovering above everyone and i saw a figure that was identical to me which i believe. I remember seeing the ambulance people areound me. I remember seeing the recess supervisors aound me and all these people around me. and like i was hovering above everybody. It sure was wierd. but yeah. maybe afterlife is a paralell universe. maybe its a differant dimmension. i mean everybody is entitled to an oppinion but like i still believe after that incident i believe there is an after life. i was talking to the principle and i guess i was knocked out for at least twenty minutes. it was wierd though. I still stand firm on my belief. I mean. im not some really religous guy. I go to church every sunday because my parents make me. But i cant imagine what to believe in if there is no god. I mean how did we get here. how did this universe get here. I think that there something much more bigger than the universe. In Physical Science Class i had my last semester. It says in the book. That the universe is expanding. Maybe then are finding more mass to the universe that they havent realized before. I think god has a reason on this earth for us. Maybe hell is for the "party Poopers" in life. the people are too stuck on themselves. Maybe heaven is an identical world to ours. I dont know though. but yeah. if you want to ask me questions about my near death expirence. i'll be happy to answer any questions. Just email me or instant message me. u know where to find that stuff.

i believe someone else here also has these experience, anyone??

it is very interest at this point. no one can prove anything unless they actually have a near-death experience. i want to feel it but you know, its near-death experience, im not gonna kill myself......

i read this in the book. a person said that he talked to the god in this near-death experience, he said that b4 everyone is born, they have to promise to pretend that space and time exist, or else they cant be born... maybe the world is really just a fake....

anyway, when did you have this experience?? when you were a kid? did you see the god or anything? it is said that children mostly see a figure of human being (they dont know who it is yet). there are basically 4 types of those experiences. they are heaven like (people see a warm light, a garden with people, animals.... or god), hell like (seeing scary things, skulls, monsters... cold), dont really feel anything and the last one, the weird one, being in another sort of dimension or world, or floating around, visiting others (friends or....). i believe you have the last one...

Quick answer to this:

If Christianity is real, you either go suffer for eternity or get eternal life.

If it is not, then you die and everything goes bye-bye and you stop thinking. The reason humans think that even if there is no god or anything that there will still be a state of consciencess after death is because we (me included) cannot comprehend not thinking. When you have grown your entire life with thinking instantaneos and with no difficulty, the lack of it is impossible to realize. Sort of like how noone really knows what it would be like to suffocate to death, as none of us have experienced it.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone i just joined this form i am in web design class right now and i thought this was very interesting. SO i thought i would add my two cents to the conversation about life after death. i'm actually not sure what to think i belive in god to i think that you are joined with god in the heavens but i'm also practical and i can accept that there may be other things that can happen such as reincarnation and almost anything basicly because nobody knows for sure. the best thing about death is that it'll be an adventure no matter what happens because i belive that you just don't die and thats it, for the mere fact that there is energy in your body and once you die or your body can't contain it any more it has to go some where. wouldn't it be weird if that enegy that is relased at death just does to something stupid like an atom for example what if you be come an atom or part of an atom and all atoms are composed you human energy not saying this is possible or i beleave this just saying there are so many possibiliteis and its kool to hear all of them and make up your won mind about what you think is possible.

Originally posted by: UCCcoffee

I would just like to say that "near death" isn't quite death... has anyone seen or heard of any sort of brain activity record of any patient who claimed to have a "near death experience"?

if you say that near-death isnt death, that means no one can ever know whats beyond death.

actually, there are some cases that are proved to be dead.

a man is dead and was frozen in a place for 3 days. when ppl come and exam hes dead body, hes back. his muscle failed, the body is in huge problems. after several days, he can finally move his tongue to talk!!!!

what can you say about this?? this event really freak out all the scientists!

also, some ppl that have NDEs and saw stuff in other places, the description mathed!!!

even though "IF" they werent really dead, there are many unexplainabe problems...

• 4 weeks later...

Originally posted by: deamonstar

the human brain is a complex organ driven by electro-chemical reactions. when a person dies all of these chemicals are still present in the brain and continue to allow the brain to function for some time even after breathing and the heart stops. it is for this very reason that a person can be revived after a short time through c.p.r. or defribullation.

when the person is revived, he/she may be able to recall some of the mental images that they had during the time when they were technicaly 'dead'. this is NOT to say that everyone who is revived in this manner will be able to recall these types of memories and, is in fact a rare occurance indeed for anyone to be able to recall these experiences. though it is only when a person can remeber those 'visions' that the experience is sensationalized. and a lack of understanding of the processes of the human brain can lead a person to conclude that these expeiriences are due to a 'higher power'.

though the brain can still function after the body dies, it does not continue eternally. the decomposition of the chemicals in the brain takes time (enviromental factors such as temperature and the condition of the body at the time of death can greatly increase or reduce the rate of decomposition).

the death of the brain begins the moment that it stops recieving oxygen and ends when the different chemicals in the brain have all stopped reacting with each other (have become nuetral). however, some time during the interim, the brain will become too damaged for a person to be revived with a chance of normalcy in life, and after a certain point, though the brain may still function, it will be too damaged to support the bodys' other functions (such as breathing, the heart and other organs) leading to organ failure and, inevitably, death.

It's funny, a lot of people look towards religion, the after-life, NDE's, spirits, angels, etc., to fuel and comfort their awe and wonder at the universe, but yet the above ^^ has a much greater inpact on me emotionally than nearly anything i've heard from psudeoscience or a mystic.

Thanks for that deamonstar.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing about not beliving in god, is then there really isn't a point in living. If all you do when you die is let your body decompose, what purpose is there living? What is the point of learning when all you do when you die is lay in your coffin waiting for your brain to be eaten by maggots? Since I haven't died (or atleast I dont remember), or had a NDE, I can't say much about any of that. But, I do have to say this: If there isn't a god, and you didn't go to church, you didn't waste anything, but if you did go to church and there is a god, you get a good after life. But if you didn't go to church and there is a god, you suffer, and if you did go to church and there isn't a god, you just wasted a few hours a month. But that few hours every month makes you feel better, because the unknown scares every human being. Death is unknown, so we are scared of it just as much as we are of personal fears, and sometimes more.

I've just got a few questions: After you die, where does that energy go? Since it cannot be created nor distroyed, couldn't you be re-born and carry on with another life? If not, what is the point of living? What is the point of me contiuing to learn? What is the point of not living, should we expect something amazing?

I'd personally rather be somewhat religious than wake up everyday and say to myself, "Living is pointless, why do I continue?"

I'd personally rather be somewhat religious than wake up everyday and say to myself, "Living is pointless, why do I continue?"

After working with many teens at my local high school, I realized that it is exactly this attitude that typefies American youth today, and it's so sad! Regardless of what the statistics say about the % of Americans that are Christians, or believe there is a God, todays teens seem very lost. After Coumbine and 9/11, so many had this same attitude: Living is pointless, so why bother? We're taught in school that we came from nothing, and our life is over when it's over, and THAT'S IT!! There is nothing else for us. So why?? Why?? WHY should we keep living in this horrible world where people get killed every day? What's the point??? I mean, if there is no God, then killing myself isn't wrong, is it?

However, as for being a 'Sunday morning Christian', I don't know that it will do a whole lot of good either. Of course, I belong to a fundamental Bible believeing church, and my family is very involved there. I feel very stronly that more is required to get to Heaven than just showing up to church a few hours every month.

I believe that your physical body dies, and your essence goes on to Heaven or Hell. Whether that essence is labeled spirit or soul , I'm not really sure. But basically, the part that makes you YOU, that doesn't "die", it joins God (or not), but it does not end.

yes, your right.

myself is a teen and i have to admit sometimes i dont know what im doing.

when going to school, i ask, what am i doing really? everyday the same thing...?

well, after high school, im going to college, then get a job, have a family, and work for my rest of my life......sounds very sad and pointless.

thinking about life, i came up w/ an conclusion of the purpose of life.

the purpose of life is to find out the purpose of life. people are always seeking, but they will never find it. so, the actural purpose is the finding process. dont ask people the meaning of life, ask it yourself. while doing this, your already haveing a meaningful life. : )

(not really related to after life though, sry for being off topic)

Tim said... yes, your right.

myself is a teen and i have to admit sometimes i dont know what im doing.

when going to school, i ask, what am i doing really? everyday the same thing...?

well, after high school, im going to college, then get a job, have a family, and work for my rest of my life......sounds very sad and pointless.

thinking about life, i came up w/ an conclusion of the purpose of life.

the purpose of life is to find out the purpose of life. people are always seeking, but they will never find it. so, the actural purpose is the finding process. dont ask people the meaning of life, ask it yourself. while doing this, your already haveing a meaningful life. : )

(not really related to after life though, sry for being off topic)

First, thanks! i feel like I'm never 'right' here, so that was nice to hear.

I look at other generations from our past and it is troubling to see the younger generation seem so lost. From my POV (and I stress MY pov), most of them ARE lost, and it's not something a Thomas Brothers Guide will cure. Yes, when looked at in that light "after high school, im going to college, then get a job, have a family, and work for my rest of my life", it does seem rather depressing, i guess. I think a lot of it is finding joy in the simple pleasures of life. Also, learning to take pleasure in the joy of others really is a big step. I'm sure you know by now that I'm a follower of Christ, and that makes a difference in every single area of my life. I have a purpose - to bring glory to God. That is my purpose. Now, God has given me rules to live by, I find those in the Bible. I also find practical application of those rules in my Bible. Of course, I believe the Bible is true, and that makes a huge difference.

Others think that mainly a Christian attitude will allow people to kill. I disagree. I'm not refuting the stats published on the other thread concerning the % of killers that claim to be Christians in America. But looked at realistically, many people claim to be a Christian, even though they live their life to the contrary. Most people in this country associate being a Christian as going to Heaven, and most want to get to Heaven, so they claim to be a Christian. See what I mean? If I go out and live my life the same way the rest of the world lives, morally corrupt in many areas, with no regard for others or respect for God's will, am I living for God? NO!! I'm living for myself and hoping a few deathbed Hail mary's will get me past Peter's pearly gates!! Does that make me a Christian? By some people's standards, yes it does.

However, I know that a difference can be seen in the life of someone that is truly dedicated to bringing glory to God. I am NOT saying that the person will be sinless, or perfect, or anything of the sort. But you can SEE a change! I have seen it in others, and I have lived it myself. I used to live for myself, and it showed. Youth today are no different.

Evolution is taught in school, God is forbidden and often mocked. Different religions (besides Christianity) are studied to learn 'tolerance', yet Christianity is not taught. Instead, many times in many ways, including TEXTBOOKS, Christians are made fun of, called extremists, and zealots, etc. I'm not saying that Christianity should be taught in schools, but if other religions are taught, it should be given the same amount of time and energy, and TOLERANCE.

If you are taught in school that you came from nothing, and that you return to nothing, what in the world will keep you from killing yourself? Science? NOT HARDLY! But something else can. I trusted God, I accepted Christ's rule over my life, and I strive to BE better. Yes, I want others to experience what I have, but I don't look on it as a personal superiority. "Christians aren't perfect, just saved" was used as an illustration of a superior attitude. I don't agree. You know why? Because ANYONE can become a Christian!! It's not an exclusive club that requires you to be blond haired, g

Originally posted by: Frogon

The only thing about not beliving in god, is then there really isn't a point in living.

Boy, talk about having it completely backwards! Comes from having a singleminded approach to life. It has been shown throughout history that the ones most willing to end this life is those that believe they have another one to go to. The entire concept of many religions is that this life is just something one has to pass thru to get to the next, often the "Final Reward".

We have all heard such religious sentitments as:

"Onward Christian Soldiers" indicating going to death in battle for their god is wonderful

"Kill em all and let god sort his out" which was actually the military leader's notion that killing the masses on both sides is fine, since the "believers" will get to heaven

And we all KNOW that the PRIME motivation for the 9/11 pilots was thier ability to straight to heaven.

Ever heard of Valhalla?

The main motivation given by religious adherents for allowing oneself to die is to "go to a better place". We hear it at every funeral, How wonderful it is that this person is now in a "better place". That the fortunate dead person has been able to "shed this mortal coil". To Join the Angels Choir"....

So to make your comment is absurd. eveything we hear PROVES that it is exactly the other way aroound. That it is religious belief that ascribe this life as a chore, something to suffer thru to acheive something better.

While those that understand and have the internal fortitude to accept this being the only life we have, are far more apt to cling to it as strongly as possible. We have no supersitious desire to go to an afterlife. Thus we are in no hurry to send this one.

But here is your chance to show I am wrong. Show us all the famous mantra's of Atheists which promote wanting to end this life ASAP the way I have PROVED it for believers.

the purpose of life is to find out the purpose of life.

Nice saying

Freethinker:

But, Musilms belive almost the same things as christians (little humor: the only difference is they don't eat pork). No matter what your religion, you should KNOW killing is bad. Some of those extreamists are just like colts, the leader tells them that they will "be happy in heaven" if they die for his cause, yet you have done wrong by killing, those people.

Originally posted by: Frogon

If there isn't a god, and you didn't go to church, you didn't waste anything, but if you did go to church and there is a god, you get a good after life. But if you didn't go to church and there is a god, you suffer, and if you did go to church and there isn't a god, you just wasted a few hours a month. But that few hours every month makes you feel better, because the unknown scares every human being.

1) the unknown only scares those that think things exist outside of nature. Those of us grounded in reality not only are not afraid of the "unknown", we embrace it for the potential it can hold. (I suggest you read Sagan's Demon Haunted World, he covers this) When you learn to comprehend that all things are natural, you realize that since we are also "of nature", we are one with nature and do not fear it. It is only those that think magical things pop up out of nowhere that one imagines all kinds of horrible monsters. Thus kids stop being scared of "the unknown" in their closets and under their beds, ... when they learn enough about reality. To bad so many parents do not allow their children to fully embrace reality. They instead want to maintain some level of superstitious ignorance.

2) the rest of your stuff is know as Pascal's Wager. Pascal, a mathematician from long ago, tried to develop a belief of god based on statistics. That, as you suggest, there is some statistical advantage to being a (make)beleiver. But boy does it expose a bunch of nonsense!

First Pascal, while a brilliant person in his time, was dying of brain cancer at the time. He was in constant pain and heavily medicated. Thus his lapse in reasoning skills during this wasted exercise.

Second. You are suggesting that one could MAKE A FOOL out of a god by PRETENDING to believe. That just by going to some building regularly you can buy your way into some mythical god's good graces. Ya, this god is obviouslly too stupid to know that you are just going to con him! Way to go!

Third, let's look at how the stats would actually work out. Let's take two people, an unbeliever and a Christian.

1) an unbeliever and no god- a winner. lived their life based on truth and reality.

2) a Christian and no god - a loser. Wasted their live following an antiquated sueprstition instead of living life to it's fullest and doing the best for HUMANISM.

3) a Christian and the Christian god - a (possible) winner. IF they were one of the very small number of people that call themselves Christian and followed the one out of MANY different claimed ways to follow the Christian god. Let's give it at best 50/50%

4) a Christian and the Christian god - a (possible) loser. IF they were one of the very large (other) number of people that call themselves Christian and followed the one out of MANY different claimed ways to follow the Christian god. Let's give it at best 50/50%

5) a unbeliever and the Christian god - a loser, IF that version of the Christian god is the vengeful hateful murder most of the bible describes, yet most Christian reject. Another 50/50%

6) a unbeliever and the Christian god - a winner, IF that version of the Christian god is the just, loving god that basis on good works as MOST CHristians believe the other 50/50%

7) a un-believer and a NON-Christian god. Depends on the same as 5)/6) 50/50%

8) a Christian and a non-christian god -loser, this god would be pissed that the Christian worshipped the WRONG god

So we see that in reality a Christian has only ONE chance of success, and it is a slim one. While a non-believer has TWICE the chance of success with many other 50/50%'s.

Statistically it is far better to be a unbeliever that leads a good life than a Christian that live3s any ONE of the many different appraoches Christians have invented.

I've just got a few questions: After you die, where does that energy go? Since it cannot be created nor distroyed,