Science Forums

The Meaning Of Life

Dubbelosix

And so, we are told around 4 billion years ago life formed, from a primordial sludge of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and methane... a concentrated complex polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon. which could very well have an origin outside our solar system, since deposits found from early collisions appeared to have delivered these basic building blocks in Antarctica.

It started off simple... a misnomer no doubt for a more complex configuration of atoms the earth has seen... a mobile, living prokaryote. As time went on, the prokaryote learned the biological mechanism of multicellular life.. but in these interactions and following complex life to come, from primordial sea dwelling leviathans to land dwelling dragons, they all were subject to five mass extinctions which have been documented with great success with some surprise.

Without anthropomorphising this, what is the nature of life? What is its goal? Why does life, that first multicellular organism persist to exist and why did it give rise to complex systems capable of generating different levels of intelligence and awareness? There's a lot of mystery to life and what drives it according to a sense of believing it serves some purpose.

What are your opinions... in light of the role of life, the meaning behind it? I'll give my own thoughts later.

Edited by Dubbelosix

There's a difference between life (the scientific designation) and consciousness (the true designation). I don't consider an ant as a living thing, I consider it a robot.

Not all creatures can experience themselves, the ability to discern oneself is rare - it requires two brains, with cross-wired control throughout the entire nervous system. The purpose of consciousness is obviously the expenditure of hedonic capital, this release of nor-epinephrine, endorphins, serotonin, or dopamine. Hedonic capital is earned via cortisol, stress, the stress of survival or in the modern world the stress of getting along with society that owns your *** so you don't have to be forced survive alone in a harsh environment. The former is predominantly the right brain, the latter is predominantly the left brain. 

That's actually the simple goal of life, to survive first, release tension second. But then when you consider the fact that other individuals are required to sustain the emotional needs of a conscious organism, things become infinitely more complicated.

The short answer? The meaning of life is balance. 

''The purpose of consciousness is obviously the expenditure of hedonic capital, this release of nor-epinephrine, endorphins, serotonin, or dopamine. Hedonic capital is earned via cortisol, stress, the stress of survival or in the modern world the stress of getting along to making word salad''

Bolded added by me.

Why is it always word salad. Why not word fruit, word veggies, word big Mac? Some many food items to choose from.

This is an idealogical topic. Let me express my ideologies you Scottish Salad

''It requires two brains, with cross-wired control throughout the entire nervous system.''

Which is actually due to one brain, having two hemisphere's. Do you remember what I said about using buzzwords you didn't understand?

Actually in humans one single hemisphere is so advanced that a human can function without the other, compared to a cat one human hemisphere is worth two hemispheres. This is because, in humans, the hemispheres have more regions than even mammals with the largest brains, elephants, so much so that heach hemisphere can reflect the other & develop counter personalities. One side is literally programmed to mediate the other in social interactions so that an individual can maximize his or her utility for not only the survival, but for the betterment of his or her kind. The other hemisphere regulates self-needs, our more carnal, which is actually superior in a life or death situation, a psychopath has no problem doing what needs to be done because they lack the self control or empathy offered by the left hemisphere. The right hemisphere is actually more in control of one's own automated bodily functions, more connected to and in control of the body. For instance, people with DID can give themselves real physical rashes because that personality is supposed to have a disease.

It's important to maintain balance between two, for intents & purposes, minds that we all have. & they can steal each other's identities, two people can be living in your brain.

• 2 weeks later...