Science Forums

Physics Of Drifting

JohnLee123

Hello,
I am making a project on the physics of drifting right now. I have searched the internet for a while now and have not found much about drifting. I am wondering how friction, the frictional force, the centripetal force, and how inertia impacts drifting. 
I am also wondering if there is some way I could find the frictional force of a vehicle while drifting.

Hello,

I am making a project on the physics of drifting right now. I have searched the internet for a while now and have not found much about drifting. I am wondering how friction, the frictional force, the centripetal force, and how inertia impacts drifting. 

I am also wondering if there is some way I could find the frictional force of a vehicle while drifting.

What do you mean by "drifting"? Normally I would associate that with a vessel on water without means of propulsion. Do you mean that or something else?

What do you mean by "drifting"? Normally I would associate that with a vessel on water without means of propulsion. Do you mean that or something else?

I think what he is talking about is in an automobile, when you drive through a curve too fast and the back end slides sideways as you round the curve.  Some people think it's fun, and actually do it deliberately.  I don't know if it's just an American thing, but I believe they actually have made a competitive sport out of it.

It's not just a US thing, it's fun wherever you are.

To put it in its simplest form, it happens when the centripetal force caused by angular momentum is greater than the friction force of the tyres on on the surface. There's obviously lots of factors that contribute to the grip, like wider tyres. An interesting question is why does separating the surface area of the points of contact with the surface (groves in the tyre) increase friction? In general the greater the surface area, the greater the frictional resistance.

An interesting question is why does separating the surface area of the points of contact with the surface (groves in the tyre) increase friction? In general the greater the surface area, the greater the frictional resistance.

It is indeed interesting.  http://www.electronicsteacher.com/succeed-in-physical-science/friction/traction-friction-of-tires.php

Thanks for the link. You know after going on thescienceforums I really appreciate how much friendlier it is on here. I didn't appreciate it until now. Shame the mods seem to have somewhat lost interest judging by the amount of threads that aren't getting moved to alternative/strange/silly claims and the general traffic has greatly slowed. Probably why it's less hostile here. :)

Thanks for the link. You know after going on thescienceforums I really appreciate how much friendlier it is on here. I didn't appreciate it until now. Shame the mods seem to have somewhat lost interest judging by the amount of threads that aren't getting moved to alternative/strange/silly claims and the general traffic has greatly slowed. Probably why it's less hostile here. :)

I too enjoy the mostly friendly atmosphere here.  By the way, what is with you Brits spelling "tires" with a "y"? :huh: