Science Forums

Robotic Repair"men"?

hazelm

I just know someone here will know all about this.   That is, unless you do not believe it happened.  If you know all about it, please enlighten me.  Or, send me to an informative web site.

They now have robots repairing our computers.  This morning, I was suddenly offline.  After trying everything else, I called my ISP to see if they were down.  I got a robot that, after a question or two, said "But first, I am going to check your modem.  It proceeded to do so, said it saw a problem and was going to reset my modem - which it did.  It then asked me to see if I was online. 

Up until that point we were doing fine.  But opening a page does not prove I am online and it kept hassling me for a yes or no while I was trying to test it.  It even told me not to make any comments except to answer yes or no as I was confusing it

I was confusing IT?  I hung up.  Where is my daring grandfather when I need him?  I am off for a loaf of bread.  I shall return to see what all the smart folk have to say.  Thank you.

I just know someone here will know all about this.   That is, unless you do not believe it happened.  If you know all about it, please enlighten me.  Or, send me to an informative web site.

Not wanting to burst your bubble, but I first experienced this level of A.I. in November 2015 during an international call. It surprised me then, but not much does now. A 2001 computer magazine predicted that A.I. (which had the intelligence of a spider then) would be equal to man in 2020; a very accurate prediction in my opinion. The movies have the downside of advanced A.I. well covered, but benefits probably include progressing medicine, energy, transport and security. I’m not sure if this is relevant, or indeed appropriate to ask here, but if machines become self-aware, I wonder if they might have a spirit; my guess is yes.  Google:  ‘is google getting smarter’ to see this forum’s 2017 post with an example of search engine A.I. to add to your telephone A.I. example.  

Not wanting to burst your bubble, but I first experienced this level of A.I. in November 2015 during an international call. It surprised me then, but not much does now. A 2001 computer magazine predicted that A.I. (which had the intelligence of a spider then) would be equal to man in 2020; a very accurate prediction in my opinion. The movies have the downside of advanced A.I. well covered, but benefits probably include progressing medicine, energy, transport and security. I’m not sure if this is relevant, or indeed appropriate to ask here, but if machines become self-aware, I wonder if they might have a spirit; my guess is yes.  Google:  ‘is google getting smarter’ to see this forum’s 2017 post with an example of search engine A.I. to add to your telephone A.I. example.  

Your last first:  Google?  Google and I are not on  speaking terms!

Robots?  I did learn from friends after posting above that this had indeed been going on for a while.  I am so content in my little rut that all kinds of things can happen without me knowing it.  Once I learn how to do something one way, just let me do it that way.  This constant changing (i.e., Firefox) only rattles my poor brain into total confusion. 

Actually I am surprised that I stayed with that robot.  Usually, I demand a human being and, if I don't get one, I hang up.  Robot and I got along fine until he/she insisted that I tell it I did have internet before I'd had time to test and confirm.  That's when things went awry.

Which brings up this.  Have you noticed that the robot that was always saying "I understand complete sentences" is no longer around?  He didn't understand complete sentences.

Happy Day.