Science Forums

Squat Physics

Goat97

Hi! 

My friends and I were having a heated debate yesterday. The question was whether when one squats is the downward force exerted on the legs (hips to feet) the same if the shoulders and arms help support the bar OR if the arms are just there to hold the bar in place? The arms holding the bar do not move they are just flexed and holding the bar off the shoulders. The distance the bar has to go down is equal to the distance the legs are going down in both problems.

If there are any variables that i could have forgotten to say please add them, default_smile.png thanks!

Hi!

My friends and I were having a heated debate yesterday. The question was whether when one squats is the downward force exerted on the legs (hips to feet) the same if the shoulders and arms help support the bar OR if the arms are just there to hold the bar in place? The arms holding the bar do not move they are just flexed and holding the bar off the shoulders. The distance the bar has to go down is equal to the distance the legs are going down in both problems.

If there are any variables that i could have forgotten to say please add them, default_smile.png thanks!

you won't be able to support as much weight without using your shoulders, thus you will have to add less weight to the bar. If it's light enough sure it could be the same, like if you just use the bar bell

Thanks for the fast answer! But, independent of the biological factors that influence whether you are strong enough or not to hold it on your shoulders. The force on your legs is the same?

My friends said that torque would influence this force, or that by pushing up on the bar it would cancel out the force exerted on your legs, is this true?

Thanks for the fast answer! But, independent of the biological factors that influence whether you are strong enough or not to hold it on your shoulders. The force on your legs is the same?

My friends said that torque would influence this force, or that by pushing up on the bar it would cancel out the force exerted on your legs, is this true?

Depends on how well you balance, if your back is just as straight & you're just as steady & balanced holding in your hands as resting it on your shoulders, it should be the same force on your lower body