Science Forums

Lowering The Ground State Of Hydrogen

letuandk

I was talking to someone today who said he heard about a scientist, who successfully lowered the ground state of the hydrogen atom, using some type of laser technology. From what he said, this could have energy implications, with 30 times more energy given off when H goes into this new ground state. 

Here is one source that discusses the possibility. But the person I spoke too said someone was able already able to do it. I could not check his source, since he had to leave, abruptly, and I was too reflective to think about asking him. 

I was talking to someone today who said he heard about a scientist, who successfully lowered the ground state of the hydrogen atom, using some type of laser technology. From what he said, this could have energy implications, with 30 times more energy given off when H goes into this new ground state. 

Here is one source that discusses the possibility. But the person I spoke too said someone was able already able to do it. I could not check his source, since he had to leave, abruptly, and I was too reflective to think about asking him. 

I'm afraid I am highly sceptical of this claim. The solution to Schrödinger's equation is pretty clear and I do not see any scope for altering any of the variables that determine its eigenvalues. Where is the source referring to this? You did not include a link. 

I recall a claim like this coming up a couple of years ago on another forum, but I've checked and it was just some crank with no idea about quantum theory and no evidence.