Science Forums

Thermodynamics And Keeping Warm

Someone gave me a gift of socks advertised as being "good to 30 below"  

The advertisement said neither 30 below what, or what they are supposed to be good for.

I am grateful, but it takes 3 pairs to maintain comfort when operating an open station tractor in temperatures below zero Fahrenheit.

I have seen a lot of boots and gloves with modern insulating materials, but for all the "science", why isn't any of it as good as wool?

Someone gave me a gift of socks advertised as being "good to 30 below"  

The advertisement said neither 30 below what, or what they are supposed to be good for.

I am grateful, but it takes 3 pairs to maintain comfort when operating an open station tractor in temperatures below zero Fahrenheit.

I have seen a lot of boots and gloves with modern insulating materials, but for all the "science", why isn't any of it as good as wool?

I find modern ski kit is pretty good - except for the socks. I always used to get cold feet in spite of everything. I don't have an explanation. But sheep have been around a while, so maybe evolution has had a while to optimise their thermal insulation system. 

Isn't a sheep a marvellous thing? It eats any old bits of grass, on any slope, in any weather; provides excellent milk, from which delicious cheeses can be made; has delicious meat; and gives you the material to keep you warm in winter.