Science Forums

Compensatory Attire And Accessories

petrushkagoogol

Consider the following items of attire / accessories -

* You wear spectacles because you are myopic

* You wear trendy jeans to look younger (if you are middle-aged)

* You sport a beard to look older and appear more masculine (if you are adolescent)

* You wear high heels to look taller (for women)

All of these items are designed to compensate for physical defects / psychological problems, without having a guilt complex.

This implies that many aspects of our outward appearance are by design, not by choice.

Do you agree with the analysis ?  :sherlock: 

Edited by petrushkagoogol

* You sport a beard to look older and appear more masculine (if you are adolescent)

Some of us were not even trendy when we were young!  I buy cheap Jeans so I won't be out much money when they get destroyed at work.

My beard is for insulating purposes only.  It gets cold in winter where I live, and I spend a lot of time outside. I only wish I could grow hair on my nose!

Consider the following items of attire / accessories -

* You wear spectacles because you are myopic

* You wear high heels to look taller (for women)

All of these items are designed to compensate for physical defects / psychological problems, without having a guilt complex.

This implies that many aspects of our outward appearance are by design, not by choice.

Do you agree with the analysis ?  :sherlock: 

Why do you say that "design" and "choice" are different things? Surely they are the same in this context? 

Physical defects / psychological problems? If your looking at it in that light, there are many things people do to hide or mask what they consider to be shortcomings. That may be why people located in year round warm climates even wear cloths? There is no need for cloths in certain places and people need not wear them driven by a survival instinct these days.

However, I would say not all the outward appearance accessories are there to compensate and hide our imperfections. Some accessories are there only to exhibit our fashion and modesty. Sometimes a beard is just a beard.