Science Forums

Headline Interpretation

Maine farmer

A headline on the front of the Sports section of the local newspaper read "Record Falls in Cross Country Meet"

My first thought was "Was it a slippery course?"

My second thought was "Some poor person named Record  fell"

An then I realized that someone ran the course in record breaking time.

English is such a fun language!

Edited by Farming guy

A headline on the front of the Sports section of the local newspaper read "Record Falls in Cross Country Meet"

My first thought was "Was it a slippery course?"

My second thought was "Some poor person named Record  fell"

An then I realized that someone ran the course in record breaking time.

English is such a fun language!

My all-time favourite headline was the following: "Olympic Swim Squad Vice Ring Drug Probe Summonses". 

My all-time favourite headline was the following: "Olympic Swim Squad Vice Ring Drug Probe Summonses". 

That is better than my favourite "Bank Rate Rise Leak Probe Row". Of course, the Grauniad newspaper is supreme in original headlines, like the time when the (West) German government was promoting cycling for health reasons, and the headline was something like "Bonn Boosts Bicycle Boom in Bid to Beat Battle of Bulge". 

That is better than my favourite "Bank Rate Rise Leak Probe Row". Of course, the Grauniad newspaper is supreme in original headlines, like the time when the (West) German government was promoting cycling for health reasons, and the headline was something like "Bonn Boosts Bicycle Boom in Bid to Beat Battle of Bulge". 

And then there was that story, which sadly seems only apocryphal, of the competition to get the most dull-sounding headline past the sub-editors of the Times, which Claude Cockburn supposedly won with: "Small Earthquake in Chile - Not Many Dead". 

And then there is the auto-fill feature on cell phones.  Always read your texts before sending.  Once I  texted to my wife that I still had about an hour of choreography left to do.  (And she thought I was busy doing chores!)

And the talk to text feature is so bad I don't even bother with it anymore.  A text went out once that there were 4 peppers to breed.  ( It was supposed to be heifers.)