Science Forums

Some Concern. Please Assist Me.

earlybird92

Hello. I will be working at Amazon for a year or so in a month. I heard robots and technology will take over jobs for people who work jobs like cashiers and factories. What are the odds of that happening within a year or two? I don't want to have my job taken over by robots. Mind you I plan to become a college professor though so I just want a source of income until then.

Hello. I will be working at Amazon for a year or so in a month. I heard robots and technology will take over jobs for people who work jobs like cashiers and factories. What are the odds of that happening within a year or two? I don't want to have my job taken over by robots. Mind you I plan to become a college professor though so I just want a source of income until then.

If you have the capacity to become a college prof I'm sure you will be able to research this issue yourself by reading articles on the internet. :) Obviously the changes are not going to come overnight. Supermarkets cashiers in London have been partly replaced by machines for over 5 years now - and they are more convenient for a few quick purchases on the way home from work, which is how many people shop at supermarkets now in cities. But they have not replaced all the cashiers. For large amounts of shopping, esp. the out of town supermarkets that people visit weekly to stock up, a human cashier still seems to be preferred.

"Factories" is too vague a term to mean much, so it isn't really possible to comment. Nor do you say what sort of job at Amazon you are taking up, so it isn't possible to comment on that either.  

I would not worry too much for the next 3-4 years. I think it will much more noticeable over a 5-10yr period.  

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon is, of course, at the leading edge of this sort of innovation, so that is a factor, I would echo something that another poster mentioned, but with a twist: If you are someone who is capable of becoming a college professor, you are likely.... mmmm... let's say neuroplastic enough to adapt to this changing environment as the waves hit you. In the world of robots taking over the world, there will still always be a need for creative and self-disciplined thought and research. I would encourage you to trust in your strengths and skills.