Science Forums

Can We Generate Gravitational Wave And Convert It Into Useful Energy?

michaellee8

Those energy emitted as gravitational wave when stars and black hole merges sounds large. One of the example is 2 black hole with total 60 solar mass has merged and emit 3 solar mass of ENERGY. I have just get a crazy idea to perform a very small scale of those merging stars and convert mass to energy on Earth, and then we can use the energy to do things like generating electricity. What do you think?

Those energy emitted as gravitational wave when stars and black hole merges sounds large. One of the example is 2 black hole with total 60 solar mass has merged and emit 3 solar mass of ENERGY. I have just get a crazy idea to perform a very small scale of those merging stars and convert mass to energy on Earth, and then we can use the energy to do things like generating electricity. What do you think?

Useless, even if it were possible, which it isn't. To generate gravitational waves requires sudden motion of enormous masses  and even then the waves produced have very little energy in them. 

We already have plenty of processes to convert mass into energy. Any process involving energy release, e.g. from nuclear or chemical reactions, even discharging a battery, converts mass into energy. 

Edited by exchemist

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah I don't typically go with the quantum interpretation, after all it is just made up. What I'm referring to as per the wave collapse of electrons orbiting the atom has to do with a unified 4 forces has to do with frame dragging & teleparallelism. Teleparallelism in a nut shell says charge IS gravity. Infinite quantum-cellular automative complexity that gravity cannot be stationary ever, quantum gravity has infinite frame dragging, even in sub-planckian curves there's abrupt accelerations of bodies causing fields to become waves. This is an interpretation that assumes total quantum cellular commutativity of qubit information... Implying there's really no action at a distance & even charge is governed motion of bodies in Einstein field equations.

I'm talking about two different waves though, don't confuse particle waves with EM or gravity waves.

This is how it would be applied to sustained fusion http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009261417301641

It's basically totally Einstein theories. Nobody else could ever be as smart as Einstein so why not.

Edited by Super Polymath

Super Polymath is one of our (several) resident nutcases.

That was immediately obvious.

Anyways as pointed out a GW wave could never be used as an energy source the GW waves detected require detector arms 7 km in length to detect a frequency roughly 10^-21 hrtz if I recall.

A mouse on a 1 km radius treadmill generator would create more energy. Assuming it could overcome the mass term to get the mill started lmao

My husbands experiment couldn't detect them but he never expected it to. He only has 3 lasers shooting 2 acres in enclosed pipes. Never did understand why he needed three different color lasers.

Though when I read the LIGO article because he was so excited and I asked why his experiment couldn't detect them even though both experiments use lasers.

He stated the Black holes would need to be closer than our nearest star to detect a quarter of the wavelength and he would need two arms perpendicular to each other.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Shustaire

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, it is true that the wavelength of Gravitational waves is really long several light years, so harnessing the energy is rather difficult being spread over such a large volume, probably the largest wavelength recorded in nature. I think polymath was going for.

E=ω

which explains the gravitational wave like light or an electron which it is not exactly the same but close enough. 

uLmmIKw.png

If you want it as a Monopole "mass", dipole "angular Momentum", and quadrupole "Other Forces" time-space ripple in true form solve for ωp

Edited by Vmedvil