Science Forums

Terrorism, September 11, 2001, Violent Islamic Jihad

scherado

Leading causes of death in Europe : https://www.indy100.com/article/these-are-the-top-causes-of-death-in-eu-countries--ZJbw4uBcmg 

I did  notice when you wrote about attacks on America, you left out the Oklahoma City bombing.  Timothy Mcveigh doesn't sound Islamic.

What I notice when I get away from the farm is that almost no one anywhere is paying attention to their surroundings!  When I first got my driver's licence, I actually enjoyed driving on the Interstate, but today it terrifies me!  They raised the speed limit from 55 mph to 70 mph, and when I'm driving 70, and I don't know how many of those drivers are talking on their cell phones, or worse, texting.

I've seen people walking and bumping into things because they were looking down at their smart phones instead of where they are going.  Add a deranged person to the mix, and it could turn much worse quickly.  

Leading causes of death in Europe : https://www.indy100.com/article/these-are-the-top-causes-of-death-in-eu-countries--ZJbw4uBcmg

I did notice when you wrote about attacks on America, you left out the Oklahoma City bombing. Timothy Mcveigh doesn't sound Islamic.

What I notice when I get away from the farm is that almost no one anywhere is paying attention to their surroundings! When I first got my driver's licence, I actually enjoyed driving on the Interstate, but today it terrifies me! They raised the speed limit from 55 mph to 70 mph, and when I'm driving 70, and I don't know how many of those drivers are talking on their cell phones, or worse, texting.

I've seen people walking and bumping into things because they were looking down at their smart phones instead of where they are going. Add a deranged person to the mix, and it could turn much worse quickly.

What you did not notice is that the many examples I've provided in this thread are not attacks counted in terrorist-attack statistics.

I consider your most recent post, the one I've quoted in total, as your application for a slot on New Kid On The Block (list). Timothy McVeigh has no place in this discussion, unless you want to talk about what he co-conspirator, Terry Nickols was doing when he was proximate to "Ramzi Yousef" in the Philipines before the bomb was made.

Do you understand?

You might be just as dangerous as the Puff Monster. FYI, Terry Nichols called himself "The Farmer", for what it's worth.

Edited by scherado

I consider your most recent post, the one I've quoted in total, as your application for a slot on New Kid On The Block (list).

You might be just as dangerous as the Puff Monster. FYI, Terry Nichols called himself "The Farmer", for what it's worth.

Farming guy: this idiot is paying you the compliment of adding you to his ignore list. If he carries on like this, the only two not on the list will be Dunning and Kruger

This year, I mentioned in the locked thread that my Cousin's daughter had moved to a suburb of France that week to spend a semester or two of college abroad. When I had originally heard that she was planning to do that, I told the family that it was not safe for women in many European countries. She is there now.

Also, my Uncle's granddaughter has been working in London which has been on it's highest terrorist alert level.

My Sister's daughter has been talking for a year now about spending a semester of college in Europe.

I think they are all nuts, except for the one who has to go for her job.

If someone wishes to visit Europe, and they choose not to out of a fear of terrorists, then the terrorists will have won.  You sound like you have been defeated, while your family members have not.  

Life is meant to be lived

:umno:

In Angeles’ official statement, made public prior to the McVeigh trial, he claimed to have attended a meeting in 1992 or 1993 with Yousef and two Americans–one of whom, known only as the “farmer,” was assumed by some to have been Terry Nichols.

But Nichols was not in the Philippines at all in 1992. The only time he was there in 1993, from late January to mid-February, Yousef was in the New York City area executing his attack on the World Trade Center, which occurred on February 26, 1993. Therefore, at the time Angeles claimed to have attended a meeting with Nichols and Yousef, these two men were half a world apart.

Although the story was easily debunked, the Angeles tale was accepted as fact, and continued to grow.

Source: "The Thrill of a Good Conspiracy," Cate McCauley, FAIR, 1 July 2002

History is much more the product of chaos than of conspiracy, :phones:

Buffy

I guess I've been feeling kind of left out.

And by way of the post from which the aforementioned quote appears:

Farming guy: this idiot is paying you the compliment of adding you to his ignore list. If he carries on like this, the only two not on the list will be Dunning and Kruger

It might be benefitial to pursue a tangent, as threads do upon occasion, to, on this occasion, discuss the use and purpose of the ignore list feature.

Before we do, I make the observation that DaKreetin is so out of touch as to believe that "Farming guy" is on my ignore list. I call that further reinforement of my decision to place that name on the list--that would be the name "DrKrettin."

The ignore list is used for myriad reasons, some of which I may have mentioned. One, generally, is to keep the wheat separate from the chaffe. Some of us have laundry to do, among other things, and I mentioned one such thing in my introduction post.

There will be insane people on any well-populated forum. There will be people who think they own the place. There will be people who have the authority to moderate the entirety of it and think they own the place.

Those who remain off the ignore list play a very useful role. Some remain off the list who should be on the list but they serve a purpose with respect to flushing out others who are malajusted but less visible.

There is more, but I have to conduct a DVD viewing for a guy my age who is confined to an awful "nursing home" and who was a childhood friend.

In Angeles’ official statement, made public prior to the McVeigh trial, he claimed to have attended a meeting in 1992 or 1993 with Yousef and two Americans–one of whom, known only as the “farmer,” was assumed by some to have been Terry Nichols.

But Nichols was not in the Philippines at all in 1992. The only time he was there in 1993, from late January to mid-February, Yousef was in the New York City area executing his attack on the World Trade Center, which occurred on February 26, 1993. Therefore, at the time Angeles claimed to have attended a meeting with Nichols and Yousef, these two men were half a world apart.

Although the story was easily debunked, the Angeles tale was accepted as fact, and continued to grow.

source

I don't do conspiracies.

... Timothy McVeigh has no place in this discussion, unless you want to talk about what [t]he co-conspirator, Terry Nickols was doing when he was proximate to "Ramzi Yousef" in the Philipines before the bomb was made.

You might be just as dangerous as the Puff Monster. ...

FYI, I meant before the OK City bomb was made. Do you know the reason I put the name of the of the convicted bomb-maker of the 1993 bomb within quotes?

But [Judge Kevin Thomas Duffy], in urging that prison officials bar Mr. Yousef from seeing or contacting family members, told him derisively, "We don't even know what your real name is."

He cited Mr. Yousef's uses of a dozen aliases and his refusal to disclose his real name.

(nytimes.com

The second reason, and the reason for the qualifier "proximate", is that where Nichols went in the Philipines 6 times, after having trouble building his bomb, was known as a hotbed of terrorist activity and a place where "Ramzi Yousef" was known to be.

1. The "Farming guy" brought up the OK bombing, and McVeigh. That is one attack by a guy or two with a...a beef? who knows? It doesn't matter because: There is no repetitive, daily, multiple-daily occassionally, existential threat in some places, phenonemon and ideology that is associated with whatever it is that McVeigh and Nichols attempted to "convey" with their attack?

2. That attack has no bearing on the subject of world-wide violent islamic extremism that is on a worsening trajectory as we type.

Dangerous is as dangerous does. :xmas_tree:

Your use of "proximate" and quoting Yousef's name appears to mean that there's no actual evidence of anything. Thank you for verifying that.

There's really little difference between today's paranoia about "violent Islamic extremism" and the "the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids," except that back then the John Birch Society was considered a bunch of freaks by the Republican Party, whereas now the former is a plank in the party platform because the crazies have taken over the party.

Believing that there's no "phenomenon and ideology" behind the White Supremacist movement that is far more prevalent in America--and to a great extent in Europe as well--than "violent Islamic extremism is just willful ignorance. Really not much different that believing that the Earth is flat.

I'm glad to hear you're visiting a friend in a nursing home today, although I'm a bit disturbed that you say it's because you "have to" rather than "want to." 

You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? :phones:

Buffy

There is no need for "appears" as I explained the reasons

You just repeated the accusation that I had just provided evidence against, which you refused to address. It's not really possible to have an intelligent discussion with anyone who is willfully ignorant of facts and insists that fantasies he sees on propaganda sites on the internet are the only truth.

You might want to ask yourself: what are you accomplishing here? Have you convinced anyone here of anything? Do you think you ever will?

Do you have any theories as to why?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts, :phones:

Buffy

You just repeated the accusation that I had just provided evidence against, which you refused to address. It's not really possible to have an intelligent discussion with anyone who is willfully ignorant of facts and insists that fantasies he sees on propaganda sites on the internet are the only truth.

You might want to ask yourself: what are you accomplishing here? Have you convinced anyone here of anything? Do you think you ever will?

Do you have any theories as to why?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts, :phones:

Buffy

I'm going to type very slowly in the ridiculous hope that it will help your comprehension.

I have no desire to waste time on Yousef, McVeigh, Nichols.

(I am now typing with one finger...)

It has nothing to do with the contemporary world-wide Islamic Jihad that many nations and many unfortunate people have to endure.

I can't believe I had to type that sentence.

I'm going to type very slowly in the ridiculous hope that it will help your comprehension.

It has nothing to do with the contemporary world-wide Islamic Jihad that many nations and many unfortunate people have to endure.

But you did make the claim that we are safer here than in Europe, so we had to point out to you the violence that happens in the US.

So what is to be done to make everyone feel safe?  

As I said earlier, safety is only a state of mind that may or may not relate to reality.  

We know you don't.

Unfortunately you don't get to justify your argument by saying that related information that casts doubt on your argument "has nothing to do" with it.

What you're doing here is basically saying that in an argument that the world is flat, that no evidence based on curvature should be allowed because your argument only involves straight lines.

If you're going to insist that Islamic Terrorism is an "existential threat" (Post #43) and then allow no discussion of comparable threats because your threat should be considered in isolation then you are going off into a clearly non-scientific discussion.

It's not possible to make comparative statements and insist that no one make comparisons.

At that point you're just ranting.

Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler, :phones:

Buffy

Nothing to do with it huh? Then why did you name the thread "Violent Islamic Jihad" Captain America?