Science Forums

String Theory And The Mind

petrushkagoogol

I would have thought he would be grooming his new username. Perhaps, he is...

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this? Who are you referring to? And why are you bothering to say this?

It is not as much about who you used to be, as it is about who you choose to be, :phones:

Buffy

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this? Who are you referring to? And why are you bothering to say this?

On "topic", does anyone know what exists in "1D"?

Does anyone know what exists in "2D?" This is the science forum.

From another thread:

...There is in reality a one dimensional whole and the thing that we call dimensions , XYZt are imaginable lines in space and not of space.

The answer is 1. [to the question of how many dimensions there are]

I agree completely, though I would suggest the need for all of us to re-think the use of the word "dimension" in this context, given it is all-or-nothing with respect to existence as we know it. We have devised the convention of width, height and depth for practical purposes. Thank you for relieving me of typing an explication.

In my opinion, any understanding of the referents in the common usage, in any discussion of 1, 2, 3 dimensions (ignoring any additional for the moment) leads to an "all or nothing" or "all in one" conclusion. It is inescapable in my view.

From Geometry class (Euclidean), the point is defined as the "1D" object, with no height or width or depth, but it--the point--nevertheless, may be placed upon the 2D plane resting on some X,Y position.

The 2D plane of Geometry class has no height.

None of these things exist.

The mind, matter and such exist. Now, read the OP.

Unbleeping believable. This is a science forum. Color me silly.

I would have thought he would be grooming his new username. Perhaps, he is...

I included the one and only sentence you're being asked to respond to.

Sometimes it's so hard to find half a mind when you need one, :phones:

Buffy