Science Forums

Planet Labs

Deepwater6

Well, this is just taking the old timey aerial photography to a new level (pun intended)

In our office we have a book of soil types  for our whole county printed in 1950 something, and overlayed on the map are outlines of all the soil types.  This was put together by the Soil Conservation Service, now known as NRCS (Natural Resource Conservation Service), part of the USDA.  We last consulted it about twenty years ago when we were asked if we wanted to use someone's field across town, and the book had all of the information we wanted to know.  I never looked for an updated, digitized version.  The original maps were made by sending people out with shovels to investigate the soil resources pretty much nationwide, or so I was told.  I don't know when it was done, or how long it took.

We manage fields of hay only these days, so our nutrient management plan is still sort of "old school".  Every few years, I walk the fields with a soil sampler, a pail, and a bunch of cardboard boxes in which to place soil samples.  I use Google Earth maps to label the fields, but do not use GPS.  I've  of some who use all terrain vehicles with a gps and an automated soil sampler, but I hate ATVs , and am glad for the chance to take a leisurely  walk .

Edited by Farming guy