Science Forums

9/11/2017

scherado

The key problem with your logic here is that there is absolutely no justification for limiting the "inferences" we might be making solely to what you put in the OP. All of your other posts are fully relevant to my and other's assessment of your intent.

Can you make an argument that people should evaluate your behavior solely upon what you decide is relevant?

And quite frankly, how are we supposed to know?

Yes, I've been called "dangerous" and many other things as well. Although never a "Likudnik." But I have been called a "Self-hating Jew," a frequent epithet among folks like Shapiro and Horowitz.

When you're given a warning by an admin about your behavior, you'll find that on most sites the admins pretty much fall into a Thin Blue Line. You've been here for all of 2 days and you're already telling us how we should run our forum or what things our members should and should not say.

I assume that your behavior here is pretty much what people experience of you in real life. How's that working for you?

Given how quickly people end up on your ignore list, I assume that within about a week there will be nothing left for you to read here.

We're happy to have new members join and contribute, but this is an existing community of people drawn together by common interests with accepted conventions of interaction, and it's up to you to figure out whether you fit in with us, not scold us for not fitting in with your view of the world. Does that make any sense to you?

You never know who's going to become your friend. Friends are always chance meetings, :phones:

Buffy

As an aside, your remark about "self-hating Jew" reminded me of a semi-humorous column by Gideon Rachman, who is by some measure the best columnist on international affairs in the Financial Times (and of course Jewish), writing at the time of the run-up to the Iraq invasion.  It was about the neocons, the "Project for a New American Century" and all that. He was criticised for being a "self-hating Jew" because he disagreed with the neocon agenda, while others were pointing out the link between that agenda and right-wing Jewish supporters of Israel (the term Likudnik was not then in general circulation).

He observed that the real danger of the neocon movement was that there was a takeover of US government policy, not so much by Jews as by journalists (Bill Kristol et al were all journos of course), i.e. people with opinions and a popular following, but no experience of government. He concluded by saying they should really be criticising him for being a self-hating journalist. 

As with Fahrenheit, gallons and pounds, I suppose. I'm old enough to remember how ghastly it was doing all the conversions, when the UK switched to metric units in science.  

Yes, it was you guys who stuck me with working in foot-pounds, as a unit of energy, for which I shall never forgive you!

Typical example from some long-ago test paper:  "find the area bounded by the curve P = 96/V1.2 pounds per square inch, (where V is expressed in cubic feet) the line V = 1, and line P = 1.5. Express your answer in foot-pounds"

Yes, it was you guys who stuck me with working in foot-pounds, as a unit of energy, for which I shall never forgive you!

Typical example from some long-ago test paper:  "find the area bounded by the curve P = 96/V1.2 pounds per square inch, (where V is expressed in cubic feet) the line V = 1, and line P = 1.5. Express your answer in foot-pounds"

Heh heh. It was a such a dream to be able, in the 6th Form, to work in MKS and CGS units, later further rationalised down to SI.

I do however lament the passing of the Angstrom. Expressing atomic distances in decimals of a nanometre seems so clumsy.  

Heh heh. It was a such a dream to be able, in the 6th Form, to work in MKS and CGS units, later further rationalised down to SI.

I do however lament the passing of the Angstrom. Expressing atomic distances in decimals of a nanometre seems so clumsy.  

At exactly 0.1 nanometers, the Angstrom doesn’t seem totally out of place in the SI system. I doubt if it will ever go completely out of use.

If the format is confusing, it is because we inherited it from you, then you went and changed your minds. We are upholding your tradition!

(I realize this is from a kids.net site, but I have no reason to doubt it is true)

This thread is most certainly not promoting any errors with respect to date formats and their usages.

This thread is about what occurred on September 11, 2001, which never would have occurred prima faci had the events on February 26, 1993 come to full fruition.

This thread is most certainly not promoting any errors with respect to date formats and their usages.

This thread is about what occurred on September 11, 2001, which never would have occurred prima faci had the events on February 26, 1993 come to full fruition.

Yes, I know what this thread is about. Sometimes we discuss tangential things that just happen to spring up, like date formatting. Because you start a thread, that doesn't give you control over everything that will get discussed here.

Did I earn a place on your ignore list yet? I would consider it an honor to be included with exchemist and Dr Kretin.

Yes, I know what this thread is about. Sometimes we discuss tangential things that just happen to spring up, like date formatting. Because you start a thread, that doesn't give you control over everything that will get discussed here.

Did I earn a place on your ignore list yet? I would consider it an honor to be included with exchemist and Dr Kretin.

I don't think I would hide it if you did get that dubious "honor."

From the United Kingdom website, telegraph.co.uk, an article called, Teachers 'scared' to teach lessons on 9/11 attack, that was published yesterday, Sept. 9.

Some teachers are too scared to discuss 9/11 with their pupils as they fear a backlash from Muslim parents, a leading expert in counter-extremism education has warned.

In other words, if the USA had woken up earlier to the fact that not everybody appreciates what a lot of the rest of the world saw as their attempt at world dominance. There is a perception that the USA assumes that the world would be a wonderful place if everywhere were exactly like the USA, and they can't imagine that there are people out there who don't approve of them. Just for the record, I don't condone any form of violent action, and I abhor the mentality of the terrorists.

You can spend your life keeping track of wrongs, and keep lists of those who have wronged you. You can wallow in bitterness and anger and plot revenge, and you can feel vindication when you watch others suffer in retribution. Will you be better for it? Will you be more secure? Will it bring joy to your life?

I remember the past, and I reflect upon the lessons learned, but I won't linger too long. The past has made me stronger, and given me resolve to carry on. I refuse to act out of anger or fear, and I refuse to hate all those who differ from myself.

Anger, hatred, and fear are too exhausting to be maintained, and they don't produce anything but more of the same. I don't forget, but I do forgive. Forgiveness is not for the benefit of those who have wronged me. Forgiveness I do for my self. Forgiveness is an act of strength. Forgiveness says to those who may wrong me that although they can do me harm, they can't take away who I am.

I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

I can tell you, and it is very accurate, that my ignore list has nothing to to with any of the speculation--and presumptions--you have made in post #12.

My ignore list, how I employ it and share the reasons for the entries, is guided by the nonnegotiable truism: "We teach people how to treat us." I may or may not give proper attribution for this--it is in quotes--but I can tell you that a man said it in my presence some time in the mid-80s and I have--since that time--given it the status of "truism."

I will explain the meaning of it, if necessary.

In other words, if the USA had woken up earlier to the fact that not everybody appreciates what a lot of the rest of the world saw as their attempt at world dominance. There is a perception that the USA assumes that the world would be a wonderful place if everywhere were exactly like the USA, and they can't imagine that there are people out there who don't approve of them. Just for the record, I don't condone any form of violent action, and I abhor the mentality of the terrorists.

How someone can think the rest of the world wants a system so bad that so many people see crime as their only option leading to the first place worldwide of number of prisoners and number of prisoners per 100k? Source here (no worry scherado, not wikipedia):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

The free and cool US is followed by China on the first statistic (pure count) or by Russia (second statistic), both countries one would expect to be on top since freedom not high on their agenda.

And yeah, as long we ("the West") keep up our current pure capitalist policies, there will be more acts of terrorism not less. NB.: I am not an anti-capitalist per se, just its current implementation (= no ethics only money).

And yeah the date format is unlogic (not from smallest to biggest quantity), but inches to feet to all the rest conversion is worse, no multiples of X (X=10 would be the most logic, but any other as long as always the same would make sense)

Well, that is all nice and noble and all, but when you get down to the bare facts, the jihadists don’t give a rat’s *** about being forgiven and the only thing they are interested in is killing some more infidels. I think it is prudent to not forget that. In a dangerous world it is foolish you let your guard down.

I am not planning anything special for 9/11/2017 but I am very sure that Homeland Security and other agencies will be on a higher state of alert, and not just in the USA.

Nobility has nothing to do with forgiveness.  I forgive for my own peace of mind, and I care not if the forgiveness is wanted.  

I am a calm man, almost extremely so, but I am not unguarded to threats.  Threats also come in non - Islamic jihadist forms.  I find myself in agreement with the teachings of Socrates, that when you wrongly judge others, you do more harm to yourself than to those you judge, so I choose to reserve my judgement.  

That is not to say that I have not knocked my share of bullies onto their backsides, but I did so without malice.  The offensive actions have to be stopped before they can be forgiven, after all.

Edited by Farming guy

That is not to say that I have not knocked my share of bullies onto their backsides, but I did so without malice. The offensive actions have to be stopped before they can be forgiven, after all.

To quote myself which appears prior to your most recent reply:

... "We teach people how to treat us."

Empire building is just another trait that we inherited from you guys in Europe. :nahnahbooboo:

More seriously, at the time of 9/11 there was not much evidence of American hegemony in the Middle East. Iraq was ruled by a dictator, Iran by an Ayatollah (Supreme Islamic leader) and the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan. Most of the other ME countries (other than Israel) were ruled by some form of royalty. Israel was the only democratic country in the ME  (and still is)

Of course, there was a great deal of American involvement in the oil industry, but companies like Aramco were pikers compared to the like of the British East India Company.

113706-004-55D378D9.jpg

So, it seems it comes down to American support of Israel as the prime motivation for 9/11.

In Bin Laden’s own words:

"The expansion of Israel is one of the greatest crimes, and you are the leaders of its criminals. And of course there is no need to explain and prove the degree of American support for Israel. The creation of Israel is a crime which must be erased. Each and every person whose hands have become polluted in the contribution towards this crime must pay its price, and pay for it heavily"

I don’t really buy the argument that the USA was exerting dominance and that is what led to 9/11. It was the creation, and continued support of, the Israeli state, which America certainly played no small part in, but not the only player, that was behind the attacks, in my opinion.

I would argue that it is the jihadists are the ones who want to exert dominance and dream of the return of a grand caliphate to rule over the entire world.

If you have a choice, what system would you prefer to be governed by? And that is not an idle question; it just may be the reality that we are all facing and something to think about.