Science Forums

Getting Tired Of Trumpets And Flat Earthers

Coveny

So here recently I've had a string of debates on Facebook with trump supporters and flat earthers and I decided to take a break from the insanity and have some intelligent conversations. I'm new so the thing to do is introduce myself. Jobs done. :)

I watch a fair amount TV, but don't read like I use to. I work in IT as a consulting doing Exchange/O365 and Networking. I enjoy science and some of my favorite topics are batteries and alternate energy sources, but I find stuff like wasp venom and nano delivery systems that curing cancer fascinating as well. This include hydro and geothermal which don't seem to get the love they deserve IMO. I also enjoy gaming but I'm holding off on that right now. Still playing a card game called War of Omens, but work on my retirement plan of an 8-unit apartment complex took up all my free time for the last month or so and I stopped playing Black Desert Online. (that game is a huge time sink...) I've played World of Tanks/Warships. Love the Total War series. Played some league of legends but quit when I started playing BDO. (might be going back ARAM and no ranked in the near future) On a humorous note I named my two Havanese Teemo and Galio. Was going to debate.org but it's just so buggy now, so I started going to debate island but they've set flat earthers as moderators for the earth science and they just delete my posts when I disagree with them. As I've finally recovered from the housing bubble bursting in 2006 I decided to hire some developers to create ForDebating.com for me(You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating), but the delays are worse than the contractor problems I'm having with my apartment complex. I've almost come to the conclusion no one does what they say they are going to do/their job anymore. It's frustrating, so I figured I'd try some different forums and see if that leads to a better quality of discussion.

So hit me up if any of that sounds interesting, and I look forward to getting to know ya. :D

So here recently I've had a string of debates on Facebook with trump supporters and flat earthers and I decided to take a break from the insanity and have some intelligent conversations. I'm new so the thing to do is introduce myself. Jobs done. :)

I watch a fair amount TV, but don't read like I use to. I work in IT as a consulting doing Exchange/O365 and Networking. I enjoy science and some of my favorite topics are batteries and alternate energy sources, but I find stuff like wasp venom and nano delivery systems that curing cancer fascinating as well. This include hydro and geothermal which don't seem to get the love they deserve IMO. I also enjoy gaming but I'm holding off on that right now. Still playing a card game called War of Omens, but work on my retirement plan of an 8-unit apartment complex took up all my free time for the last month or so and I stopped playing Black Desert Online. (that game is a huge time sink...) I've played World of Tanks/Warships. Love the Total War series. Played some league of legends but quit when I started playing BDO. (might be going back ARAM and no ranked in the near future) On a humorous note I named my two Havanese Teemo and Galio. Was going to debate.org but it's just so buggy now, so I started going to debate island but they've set flat earthers as moderators for the earth science and they just delete my posts when I disagree with them. As I've finally recovered from the housing bubble bursting in 2006 I decided to hire some developers to create ForDebating.com for me(You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating), but the delays are worse than the contractor problems I'm having with my apartment complex. I've almost come to the conclusion no one does what they say they are going to do/their job anymore. It's frustrating, so I figured I'd try some different forums and see if that leads to a better quality of discussion.

So hit me up if any of that sounds interesting, and I look forward to getting to know ya. :D

Hello and good of you to join.

I'm afraid we get our share of nutters here too: science forums tend to attract cranks who think they are brilliant scientists. The most popular crank topics are anti-relativity notions of one sort or another (aether theories, electric universe etc) and "free energy", i.e. perpetual motion machines. (We also have a resident crank -banned from several other forums I belong to - who churns out obscure maths as if it were knitting, but with no attempt to keep it consistent or relate it to reality. Thankfully, he mostly sticks to blogging away on his own.)

But we also do manage to discuss a bit of science as well. My own interest is mainly the physical sciences: physics, chemistry, Earth sciences etc.

Wasp venom is an interesting subject. From a few mins web research it looks as if it is very complex - one of those things that looks like a triumph of evolution.

This is what I call a "proper forum". Facepalm is not such a thing.

I do know the meaning of "trump supporters" but do not know the meaning of "flat earthers", other than, possibly, Young Earth Creationists.

Can you define "flat earthers?"

This is what I call a "proper forum". Facepalm is not such a thing.

I do know the meaning of "trump supporters" but do not know the meaning of "flat earthers", other than, possibly, Young Earth Creationists.

Can you define "flat earthers?"

A flat earther is someone who believes the earth is flat. They like to talk about refraction, perspective, throw some numbers out, and have lots of conspiracy "theories" on how the edge is protected, and the entire world is working together to maintain the hoax so NASA can keep it's "huge" budget. I've been running into more and more of them recently, and I decided it might be a good idea to try a change of pace.

A flat earther is someone who believes the earth is flat. They like to talk about refraction, perspective, throw some numbers out, and have lots of conspiracy "theories" on how the edge is protected, and the entire world is working together to maintain the hoax so NASA can keep it's "huge" budget. I've been running into more and more of them recently, and I decided it might be a good idea to try a change of pace.

Are you serious?

I never thought you were being literal!! Where does one "run into" such people?

Do you work in an insane asylum?

Are you serious?

I never thought you were being literal!! Where does one "run into" such people?

Do you work in an insane asylum?

"Such people" are everywhere, and I am surprised you haven't run into any.

I find that if I let people talk long enough, they will reveal nearly every aspect of their lives, including much I'd rather not know.

A flat earther is someone who believes the earth is flat. They like to talk about refraction, perspective, throw some numbers out, and have lots of conspiracy "theories" on how the edge is protected, and the entire world is working together to maintain the hoax so NASA can keep it's "huge" budget.

"Such people" are everywhere, and I am surprised you haven't run into any.

I am surprised that you are running into "such people". I have never met one and I don't expect to meet one soon, and I've been around long-enough to see the waist-line of women's pants go down, way up and then back way down again.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe you. Look up at what I quoted from "Coveny" and tell me again that you know people who believe what he wrote.

I am surprised that you are running into "such people". I have never met one and I don't expect to meet one soon, and I've been around long-enough to see the waist-line of women's pants go down, way up and then back way down again.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe you. Look up at what I quoted from "Coveny" and tell me again that you know people who believe what he wrote.

Yep, I do, in fact, know such people.  I do believe the internet has helped them multiply, and most are gullible, and perhaps, a bit on the nutty side.  Most are relatively harmless..

Flat earthers are definitely a thing. I run into them on Facebook, and I've even seen them promoted to moderators on debating websites. (one of the reasons I'm paid to have someone develop a debate website for me to run)

How does one of them--any of them--account for the sun rising and setting and, uh. uh--wait, I have to adjust the duct-tape around my head, there--and how do any of them account for airplanes traveling far "over" the horizon and....I need more duct tape.

I am so glad I don't know any and I do "feel your pain."

How does one of them--any of them--account for the sun rising and setting and, uh. uh--wait, I have to adjust the duct-tape around my head, there--and how do any of them account for airplanes traveling far "over" the horizon and....I need more duct tape.

I am so glad I don't know any and I do "feel your pain."

Just remember you asked...

Their explanation is that the sun is smaller and closer than it really is. As the sun gets further away perspective makes it appear to disappear, while distance/refraction hides it from sight. (they really enjoy using perspective and refraction to explain things that perspective and refraction can't explain...)

Just remember you asked...

Their explanation is that the sun is smaller and closer than it really is. As the sun gets further away perspective makes it appear to disappear, while distance/refraction hides it from sight. (they really enjoy using perspective and refraction to explain things that perspective and refraction can't explain...)

Do you know whether the apparent round shapes of the Moon, Sun are a problem for them?--as well as the apparent round shaped of Jupiter and Saturn and....<*grabs duct tape*>