Science Forums

Eclipse Timing

hazelm

I suppose it is because we read left to right but the sun and moon travel right to left (east to west) that I am confused.  Who will see the full eclipse first - east coast or west coast?  Or will there be a difference?  Seems there should be.

Also, if the timing will vary, is there a map online that shows when it will appear along the way?  So far I've no found one.

I suppose it is because we read left to right but the sun and moon travel right to left (east to west) that I am confused.  Who will see the full eclipse first - east coast or west coast?  Or will there be a difference?  Seems there should be.

Also, if the timing will vary, is there a map online that shows when it will appear along the way?  So far I've no found one.

West coast will see it first. Here's an interactive map: >> Eclipse Map — August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

What Does the Map Show?

The map shows where the total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017 is visible. You can select any location to see when the eclipse starts and ends, and how much of the Sun is obscured there. What will this eclipse look like in your city?

Bless your heart.  After posting my question, I continued to look and found this very same link.  Only what I found was the St Louis page.  Was not able to find the page you showed.  Now I can share that with other friends. 

And it goes west to east?  Hard to figure out that one.  I'll take your word for it. :-)  Thanks much.  Hazel

And it goes west to east?  Hard to figure out that one.  I'll take your word for it. :-)  Thanks much.  Hazel

It goes west to east because the moon is moving across the sun from right to left (looking from earth toward the sun, or if you're looking down toward the north pole, it's moving counter-clockwise), so folks on the right (again looking down at the north pole, the folks in the west) see the moon cross the sun first:

The Earth's own rotation is a factor too, but recognize that the "full eclipse" on the west coast is at 10:17 AM Pacific Time and then on the east coast the "full eclipse" is at 11:47 AM Pacific time (translating time zones so you can compare) and it traverses 3000-odd miles in about an hour and a half, which is twice the speed of the Earth's rotation, but that rotation is the *opposite* direction, so that thing is moving at about 4500 MPH! :cheer:

None of this is obvious until you sit down and think about all the factors involved.

Never ignore a gut feeling, but never believe that it's enough, :phones:

Buffy

Right.  On that page that Turtle sent, there is a First and Last link.  On one of those two pages (I was bouncing back and forth), there is a video that shows it.  There I realized the earth is turning behind that scene. Seeing makes it clear..  And, since we are two hours ahead of OR, our totality is one hour and 4  minutes after theirs.   (Took a lot of "trigonometry" and "calculus" to figure out that. <g>)

For all those considering driving into the path to totality beware, I spent hours in traffic traveling on route 81 through Virginia. I had to stop here just past Roanoke after driving for 10hrs straight. I got the last room in the motel I stopped at. Everyone in the motel lobby were all going to see the same event.

I intend on heading for the Great Smokey Mountains National park. If today's traffic was this bad, tomorrow is going to be insane. If your near the path of totality and you're thinking on heading to get to it from any direction I recommend leaving as early as possible. you may want to look up the weather in the area your shooting for too. 

It's a lot of trouble to witness 1.50 seconds of a solar hide and seek, maybe even a bit obsessive, but I look at it this way. For one, I'll probably never see another one and before I expire I want to experience one especially if this is the only self aware conscience life cycle I get. I'm also looking forward to seeing the sky go dark in the middle of the day and seeing the stars come out as the temperature suddenly drops. Hopefully this event will finally confirm what I've suspected for years, that the world is not flat.   :spin:  

So if anyone is heading to the path allow yourself a lot of extra time and good luck. 

For all those considering driving into the path to totality beware... 

Hey, it's like Woodstock: most people couldn't hear the music....but you were THERE....

Good morning! What we have in mind is breakfast in bed for four hundred thousand, :phones:

Buffy