Science Forums

Detroyed Natural Wonders

Deepwater6

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/natural-wonders-destroyed-by-idiot-tourists/ss-AAosKAR?li=BBnb7Kz#image=4

As a kid I remember throwing rocks at abandon school houses and trying to break the windows. I'm thinking there must be something else involved besides being a 12yr old with a group of friends Just looking for something to do.

I sound like an old person I know, but back when I was 10-11-12yrs old we went outside and played all day long. Mostly pick-up games of stick ball, basketball, and football with other kids from my hood. I will admit that when we weren't playing something and got bored, we did other mischievous deeds I'm sure. Looking at it now I would say some of my motivation was peer pressure, immaturity, and in some cases pure ignorance.

My parents tried to instill in me when I was caught doing something wrong, the reason why it was wrong and how it could affect other people. I was also taught to learn from my mistakes, which is why I don't go to abandon buildings and try to break windows anymore.

There were times that we would get caught doing something wrong and another child's parent would let us know loud and clear that it  wasn't right. Over the years myself and all my friends grew to understand what was right and what was wrong. Some of them intentionally choose to do bad things when they grew up and paid the price, but they knew where the line was drawn.

With all this in mind why would so many people insist on wrecking a natural wonder? They must of had some interaction with adults to let the know where the line is. I can understand people stealing for their heroin fix or food. There is a need they must fill, it's wrong, but the underlying motivation is clear. I can't figure out what the motivations are for these adults ruining something society has agreed to keep as a shared treasure for everyone. Is it immaturity? ignorance of what they are changing? Some passed down trait to wreck the caveman's camp next door? Help me understand.

I think life is just too easy for too many in the western world.  Access to the natural wonders has also become too easy and too popular .  

Although not exactly considered a "wonder", I took my wife to Diana's Baths Falls waterfalls just outside of Conway, New Hampshire.  They had ample parking, and a well built and maintained trail that made for very easy walking. There were just  too many people, too many smokers, too many people wearing perfume, and when we got to the falls, there was garbage of all sorts strewn about everywhere!

The thing I dislike most about the National Park system is that too much of it is about access and money.  You can't preserve nature and let people tromp about leaving a mess everywhere.  

Sometimes I think we should make the parks almost impossible to get to.

Edited by Farming guy

I think life is just too easy for too many in the western world.  Access to the natural wonders has also become too easy and too popular .  

Although not exactly considered a "wonder", I took my wife to Diana's Baths Falls waterfalls just outside of Conway, New Hampshire.  They had ample parking, and a well built and maintained trail that made for very easy walking. There were just  too many people, too many smokers, too many people wearing perfume, and when we got to the falls, there was garbage of all sorts strewn about everywhere!

The thing I dislike most about the National Park system is that too much of it is about access and money.  You can't preserve nature and let people tromp about leaving a mess everywhere.  

Sometimes I think we should make the parks almost impossible to get to.

The parks and preserves definitely present a conundrum. Certainly money is an issue in so much as there's too often simply not enough to properly staff. One saving grace are the armies of volunteers who often don't get their due recognition. Yay volunteers! :clap:

On the vandals, did you get that the guy was a Boy Scout leader? Probation? Good frickin' grief. :rant: