Science Forums

Color Vision In Animals

petrushkagoogol

Bulls don't see in black and white.  They, like most mammals, are di-chromatic, meaning they see colors in much the same way that red-green colorblind humans do.

Animals with monochromatic vision do exist.  For what it's worth, black and white color vision is monochromatic. It is very rare in humans, but it does exist.  In other animals, it is common in marine mammals.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what color vision bugs and insects have. 

My understanding is that bees have excellent colour vision and can see part of the ultra-violet. They need this to be effective at finding the nectar in flowers. Conversely, flowers are coloured to attract pollinating insects, which would not work if they did not see in colour.

Bumble bees seem especially attracted to the colour yellow, as demonstrated in my largely yellow kitchen, when the door is open on warm days. I regularly have to capture bumble bees (with a glass jar and a piece of card underneath) and take them back outside.

Our local lizard (gallotia galloti) has males with beautiful big blue spots on their sides which have been shown to be more pronounced in ultra-violet. It seems reasonable to assume that this corresponds to their vision spectrum. Frustratingly, I don't know how to upload a photo I have of my favourite in the garden. Anyway, my guess is that for mating purposes, intensity of colour matters more than size.