Science Forums

Should Road-Signs Be Multilingual ?

petrushkagoogol

I've thought about this issue a lot over the years. Not so much in the other countries, but more so in my own (US). I'm not sure if it is still this way in my state, but this was the practice in the near past. If someone who didn't understand English either because of illiteracy or being an immigrant they were still allowed to take the drivers test. In PA we have a written test to get your permit and a driving portion with a qualified observer to obtain your license.

I never understood how people who didn't know how to read English could ever get through this process, but I came across many drivers with spotty or non-existent knowledge of verbal and written language used in America.

I was later told that applicants were allowed to bring a friend who could read and translate the test questions for them. How they assured that the friends/translators were not assisting the applicants I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if this practice is still in use in my state today.

The problem with multi-language signs is, you could never cover all the different types of languages. Assuming you would concentrate on the largest groups of immigrants or tourists that visit or occupy said country you could never cover it all. Having a one world signage would be difficult as well. I cite the American experiment effort to join the rest of the world with metrics.

This is a real problem though, drivers without knowledge can cause mayhem on the highways. Not so much with the un-informed driving over the speed limit. The scenario of a driver not understanding signs could be catastrophic. Consider a confused driver heading up an off-ramp and into 55mph oncoming traffic going the wrong way because they did not understand the sign "Do Not Enter".

I do feel for people trying to make a start in this country. Without transportation making a new legal life here can be overwhelming. I lost my license for 6 months a few years ago when I suffered a series of seizures. Since I live in a rural area not having the ability to run to the store for a gallon of milk when needed was hard to resist, but the consequences of losing my license for a longer period of time was a very strong deterrent.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be to address this issue, but as a start I think foreign drivers need at the very least to understand the critical signage in the country they are driving. How you would enforce that in regards to the tourist/rental car industry is a mystery to me, but it is a serious problem that only grows worse with more and more drivers from developing countries taking to the highways and increasing global tourism.

In Missouri, they can bring a friend to translate or the license office will provide someone.  And, you are right, they've found more than one friend aiding the applicant in getting correct answers.  We had a news item some years back telling of a driver who was arrested for some infraction and he could neither read nor speak English.  He was from some Central American country.  How he got a driver's license is a  mystery to me.  In my opinion, he must have had under the table help.

Petrus, I am not sure what you mean by having an international  convention on road signs but don't we already have international standardized signs used by all countries?   Or, maybe by all participating countries who agreed to the common standardized signs.  I thought we did but I do not travel; so, may be wrong. 

Yes, oddly, English-speaking countries are the last that have road signs in English, but even in the US, signs are standardized to the point of being able to understand their meaning without English.

Stop signs, US/Canada/Ireland/Former UK Colonies and Protectorates:

41UwJsDNczL.jpg   stop-arabic.jpg

(Side note: they used to be YELLOW!)

The Stop sign in most countries who are signatories to the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals use the octagonal red sign with the English word "STOP" in it, but most people also recognize:

US Speed Limit:

International Speed Limit:

150px-B20acr.jpg

You'll note the international ones are devoid of any text, but the US/UK/English-influenced signs have shapes/designs that can be recognized without actually understanding the words (betcha all of you would stop at that Arabic sign).

The licensing is a proxy for anti-foreign political leanings. It ignores the fact that people who do not speak English do indeed have legitimate reasons for driver's licenses (e.g. truckers shipping all those NAFTA products from maquiladoras across the border so that Walmart can put your mom and pop shop out of business), and many states (not just communist ones like California) have found they're useful for enforcing insurance and liability laws that protect "good 'mericans."

Les Américains ne devraient pas être en mesure de conduire en France,:phones:

Buffy

Right, Buffy, I stopped at the Arabic sign.  Then I noticed it's  shape.  Correct me if I am wrong - probably am - but isn't that a standard shape and color for stop signs?  I am thinking of one particular cab ride I take often which has far too many stop signs.  I'm sure that's their shape. 

The curvy road signs.  Do they still say "Curve" on them.  I recently saw one and commented on it to my friend who was driving.  The picture is too obvious to need a word.

Back to international.  I surely thought those were standardized.  Maybe I am thinking of something else.  I yield.  :-)

You read it while I was fixing the pics and editing the content. I think I covered most of what you asked at least in general.

Internationals signs *do* have an option of putting English words in them, but that's mostly for the silly Américains....

Something happens to most Americans when they go abroad. Many of them are not average . . . they are second-raters, :phones:

Buffy

I'm also not sure if we have any international agreements on road signs I do know that there are international regulations for identifying chemicals and for good reason. If there is an accident this helps first respondents to identify what they are facing and what kind of personal protection equipment (PPE) to use when dealing with the chemical, This also gives them info on combination chemical reactions should multiple chemicals be involved in a crash or if rail car splits open with Cl2, Ammonia, or some type of acid.

At my company I am tasked with making sure all my employees in a certain department have and maintain their commercial drivers license (CDL) for deliveries. Since we deliver Cl2 and other hazardous chemicals, they are also required to have an additional endorsement to haul the dangerous chemicals. Since 9/11 WMD regs have become very strict. Drivers are required to have a state police background check, provide fingerprints, and are subjected to frequent random drug and alcohol testing. 

To know all the regulations for US drivers is daunting. The size of the book used for the regs is roughly the size of a phone book. The regs tell drivers which chemicals can go out on the same run, how much weight they can haul, and exactly what placards that need to be displayed on the vehicle. These are just a fragment of what must be followed to haul chemicals. There are so many regulations to follow I bring in a consultant, a retired state police officer who gives classes to my guys about what the police look for and all the other elements involved in the process. He relates to them what the police will look for when they preform highway truck inspections.

The UN has put together regulations to have common signage among different countries. Each chemical is given a specific UN number to identify it. There is also a lot of information about each chemical hauled and must have an safety data sheet (SDS) on board. 

Although this process is strictly enforced in the US I have no idea how closely these regs are followed in foreign countries. It is, however, a mostly global common chemical identification agreement for all to use.

In short this is an attempt to use standard signage for chemicals in all countries. The process is not perfect and not completely adhered to by all. I feel if we tried to do the same with road signs it would be an incredible undertaking. But drivers on the road who do not understand important sign messages can result in tragedy none the less. 

https://www.lion.com/lion-news/march-2012/hazmat-shipping-regulations-domestic-vs-internatio

Edited by Deepwater6

You read it while I was fixing the pics and editing the content. I think I covered most of what you asked at least in general.

Internationals signs *do* have an option of putting English words in them, but that's mostly for the silly Américains....

Something happens to most Americans when they go abroad. Many of them are not average . . . they are second-raters, :phones:

Buffy

Thank you, Buffy.  This morning - out and about - I was observing hwy signs.  Not a habit with me, being as how I am the passenger, not the driver.  Getting an education.  Not sure that is a good idea, though.  I might become a "side-seat driver".  :-)