Science Forums

Color Cognition And Pre-Frontal Cortex (Pfc) "exhaustion"

I find there is more than sufficient evidence to indicate that red is the color of warning in nature. While it is reasonable to debate that finding, it is silly to hand-wave it away in the face of so much evidence.

:hot:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Since other colors are warnings in nature, I think you can only safely say red may be 'a' color of warning and not 'the' color. The poison dart frogs or blue-ringed octopus come to mind. In the plant world, the death camas and hemlocks have white flowers and the flowers of the California false-hellebore are white and green.

As per the abstracts -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypofrontality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefrontal_cortex

Red color leads to 

• high pulse rate
  • increased anxiety
  • depression
  • decreased cerebral blood flow in the pre-frontal cortex
  • impaired cognitive function
This is what I am trying to prove ....  :beer-fresh: 

Do these 'exhaustive' effects manifest when you eat a strawberry or tomato?

Certain red additives can cause anxiety. But that is besides the point. I am focussing on cognition, through visual perception, of red, as a color.

You might also like to read : http://wiseagent.com/links/?ID=184E26CC-40D7-4E42-96E5-EA00559A5C81

I'm focusing on the visual perception too, because...well...there's no other way to sense color. :doh: So again, when you see the strawberry or tomato you are eating, does it exhaust your prefrontal cortex?

Again with putting up a link without referencing the pertinent bits. Please stop doing that. :nono:

I'm focusing on the visual perception too, because...well...there's no other way to sense color. :doh: So again, when you see the strawberry or tomato you are eating, does it exhaust your prefrontal cortex?

Again with putting up a link without referencing the pertinent bits. Please stop doing that. :nono:

Not really sure. However, if you read the abstract, sitting in a  red restaurant, stimulates hunger and strong-emotions. Seeing a red button is only likely to evoke curiosity .................

Not really sure. However, if you read the abstract, sitting in a  red restaurant, stimulates hunger and strong-emotions. Seeing a red button is only likely to evoke curiosity .................

Therein lies the problem with this thread; you're not really sure about anything. It's a common theme with you which makes for a grand waste of time for the rest of us. Stick a fork in me.

Since other colors are warnings in nature, I think you can only safely say red may be 'a' color of warning and not 'the' color. The poison dart frogs or blue-ringed octopus come to mind. In the plant world, the death camas and hemlocks have white flowers and the flowers of the California false-hellebore are white and green.

Fair enough. In fact, my initial statement was just that “Red is the color of fire and blood and it does seem likely that we perceive it as a natural warning sign”

That is hardly an argumentative statement and there is considerable support for it, if one cares to look instead of impulsively hand waving it away.

In my view, petrushkagoogol has put forth an interesting idea, at least as far as I understand it, so maybe I should check my understanding: I think he is saying that he finds it interesting that the color red, which is one of the least energetic colors based on its position in the spectrum, has the effect of inducing some of the most energetic biological responses, based on published research in this area. While I disagree that this is in any way paradoxical, it is still interesting and I found it thought provoking.

Fair enough. In fact, my initial statement was just that “Red is the color of fire and blood and it does seem likely that we perceive it as a natural warning sign”

That is hardly an argumentative statement and there is considerable support for it, if one cares to look instead of impulsively hand waving it away.

In my view, petrushkagoogol has put forth an interesting idea, at least as far as I understand it, so maybe I should check my understanding: I think he is saying that he finds it interesting that the color red, which is one of the least energetic colors based on its position in the spectrum, has the effect of inducing some of the most energetic biological responses, based on published research in this area. While I disagree that this is in any way paradoxical, it is still interesting and I found it thought provoking.

Bravo... you said exactly what I had been trying to ... pardon my lack of choice of proper words which digressed from the core idea .... :p

Coca Cola = Caffeine Cocktail

LHS = RHS

QED.   :vava: 

BS.

The claim was, "This is a red sign. Nothing calming or reassuring has ever been written on a red sign. So best you just assume the worst."

I provided one example that showed the claim to be false.  I don't even know what LHS=RHS means, but it is immaterial because you are continuing to promote the demonstrably false claim that red is a universal warning sign.  There are many cases where red is a sign of ripeness.  There are many cases that red is a sign of sexual attraction.  There are many cases where red is a desired status symbol.  This just-so claim that all things red are warnings is demonstrably false.  While you have not yet provided any evidence whatsoever that your claim that the color red exhausts the pre-frontal cortex, whatever that is supposed to mean, if you are hitching your wagon to the claim that red is a universally recognized warning color by humans, then you are failing to imagine situations that demonstrably show your hypothesis to be incorrect.  Coca-Cola signs are not red as a warning device.  If the color red served as a warning device, it would not make sense as a marketing ploy and one would expect that Coca-Cola would not have the market share that it does.  This is all despite the healthiness of the consumption of the product.

I invite you to re-read the wikipedia page on aposematism.  It does not claim that red is a unique warning indicator.  Instead, it claims that some organisms use red, among other colors, as a warning indicator in their environment.  Of course this indication is only useful among the predators in their environment.  I suspect that if you take a poisonous red frog out of its environment and place it in an environment where there are no poisonous red frogs, it would almost immediately be eaten.  Likewise, move a predator into an environment where poisonous red frogs exist that they are unaware of, and that red frog will be eaten.  The fact that a red Coca-Cola can does not produce the same reaction in humans as a red poisonous frog does to birds in the same environment is evidence that your hypothesis, as I understand it, is incorrect.  It most certainly is not support for your claim.

What of Turtle's heart image?  Do you view that as a warning indicator?  When females apply red lipstick, are they trying to ward off suitors?  When someone buys a dozen red roses, are they trying to repulse the one they give the roses to?  No.  Therefore, your claim and Ocean Breeze's is demonstrably false.

Edited by JMJones0424

BS.

The claim was, "This is a red sign. Nothing calming or reassuring has ever been written on a red sign. So best you just assume the worst."

I provided one example that showed the claim to be false.  I don't even know what LHS=RHS means, but it is immaterial because you are continuing to promote the demonstrably false claim that red is a universal warning sign.  There are many cases where red is a sign of ripeness.  There are many cases that red is a sign of sexual attraction.  There are many cases where red is a desired status symbol.  This just-so claim that all things red are warnings is demonstrably false.  While you have not yet provided any evidence whatsoever that your claim that the color red exhausts the pre-frontal cortex, whatever that is supposed to mean, if you are hitching your wagon to the claim that red is a universally recognized warning color by humans, then you are failing to imagine situations that demonstrably show your hypothesis to be incorrect.  Coca-Cola signs are not red as a warning device.  If the color red served as a warning device, it would not make sense as a marketing ploy and one would expect that Coca-Cola would not have the market share that it does.  This is all despite the healthiness of the consumption of the product.

I invite you to re-read the wikipedia page on aposematism.  It does not claim that red is a unique warning indicator.  Instead, it claims that some organisms use red, among other colors, as a warning indicator in their environment.  Of course this indication is only useful among the predators in their environment.  I suspect that if you take a poisonous red frog out of its environment and place it in an environment where there are no poisonous red frogs, it would almost immediately be eaten.  Likewise, move a predator into an environment where poisonous red frogs exist that they are unaware of, and that red frog will be eaten.  The fact that a red Coca-Cola can does not produce the same reaction in humans as a red poisonous frog does to birds in the same environment is evidence that your hypothesis, as I understand it, is incorrect.  It most certainly is not support for your claim.

What of Turtle's heart image?  Do you view that as a warning indicator?  When females apply red lipstick, are they trying to ward off suitors?  When someone buys a dozen red roses, are they trying to repulse the one they give the roses to?  No.  Therefore, your claim and Ocean Breeze's is demonstrably false.

Red color leads to desensitization and hypofrontality ... which manifests itself as excessive sex drive .....

You know what, don't worry about it.  You made your claim, if you wish, you can support it with evidence.  If you can find evidence that isn't refuted by a google image search, then maybe you'll get this thread moved out of strange claims.  Until then, I'm tired of repeating the same question over and over again.