Science Forums

Century

Deepwater6

Oh yes, I agree- I'm certainly not advocating packing up the champagne and confetti. I do find it amusing that something as complex as the human race has such divides interpreting the age of it's own existence. This year I'll switch to beer and kazoo's, and see what happens. :xparty:

Oh yes, I agree- I'm certainly not advocating packing up the champagne and confetti. I do find it amusing that something as complex as the human race has such divides interpreting the age of it's own existence. This year I'll switch to beer and kazoo's, and see what happens. :xparty:

Ultimately the starting point is arbitrary, despite what creationists claim. So why celebrate a new century at a particular time rather than any other? Who really cares? Actually, a lot of people do care, and I venture to suggest that women place a lot more importance on marking the passing of time than men do. This is based on personal observation of a lifetime of grief from that sex (Americans: read "gender") for not knowing that x has a birthday and it must be celebrated, or Christmas is immensely important, even for an atheist. Personally, I claim my masculine right not to know or care what the date is, and who was born on which day, but inevitably I am always informed as to when I want to celebrate something meaningless. [/endrant]