Science Forums

Arrival Of Aliens

Deepwater6

I'm a sci-fi movie junkie, especially ones that deal with the arrival of E.T.'s. As it is highly unlikely that E.T.s will show up having a somewhat humanoid form and speak fluid English, for the sake of the discussion lets say they do.

Who would we send to make first contact? In the movie the "The Day The Earth Stood Still" it was a collection of scientists surrounded by military personnel and their equipment. One soldier, very nervous at the arrival, shoots the alien as soon as he appears. I'm would expect the government must have a protocol for this type of event and would try to prevent such an act.

Hopefully it is a very fluid protocol with so many variables that would be involved with E.T. visits. For the actual meet and greet who would that likely consist of? Would we send politicians? Air Force officials? CIA or FBI agents? Donald Trump? Who would make the decision on this meeting that could lead us to greater technology or, if handled wrong, possible our annihilation?

If they are friendly and have technology to share, how far would the US government or any other government go to make contact with them if they didn't land in their country? Let's say the craft lands in North Korea or Iran and teaches them a new way to harvest energy? What if this or some other technology they have, has the ability to produce devastating weapons? 

So no Donald T. huh? what a shame. Just as well I guess, the alien planet would probably have a supporter or two that back terrorism. =@   Not sure how DT is going to stop these illegal aliens. :alien_dance:  Maybe he'll build us a Dyson sphere and have Mexico pay for it.  :lightbulb

Radiological? do all or most rescue vehicles bring radiation detectors. We have one ton Cl2 cylinders at my place of employment. for a release on our property there is a special emergency company we need to contact.

We used to have a team with us, the employees, but it was hard to keep together. People were on vacation out with an illness, get transferred, retire. There was also the upkeep on gear. The breathing apparatuses etc. It's just easier to sub it out and make local FD aware of it's presence.

But for something they can't identify I guess you would have to run a battery of tests on it to find out what it might do to humans and the environment. Even if it looks benign.