Science Forums

Forget Me Not

Consider 3 average activities that every office-goer engages in the morning hours -

1. trimming the moustache
2. charging the mobile phone
3. packing his reading glasses (assuming, of course, that he needs them)

Very often we tend to forget one of these for no apparent reason.

Can we avoid this absent mindedness ?

The key here is that the 3 activities involve three different objects in his house as containers

1. Washroom
2. Bedroom
3. Closet

Tagging the activities with the location can be a buffer against absent mindedness, and even OCD.

Is this a correct evaluation ?

Can you add your own illustration to this list ?  :out:

This is an example of memorizing a list of things by associating it with another list that is easier to remember. I don't know that the second list you made is any easier to recall than the first, though. Usually the association is made with a list that you cannot forget, such as a series of numbers or the letters of the alphabet, or some other list that you create. Then you hang the list of things you want to remember on the "pegs" of your permanent list. In fact, this is known as the peg system. Other similar systems are the Loci and Link systems.

I used to play around with this sort of thing and once was able to remember what was on each page of a 300 page book. Now I can't even remember what book it was.