Science Forums

How An Earthquake May Have Unleashed Valley Fever Nowhere Near La

Super Polymath

This thread is in regards to an earthquake in Illinois, near the Mississippi River. I'd argue that this event may have jarred some coccidioides immitis in small parts of the counties west of the quake. I say that because that type of fungus has been documented in Missouri. Since then, there has been another earthquake near that area, however the fungus probably wouldn't have been kicked up by the second one in 2008 given that quake wasn't as close to the Mississippi River as the 2005 one. The coccidioides are more commonly a south-western fungus, and small pockets of it could viably exist in the Mid West, stretching from Washington Park all the way down highway 70 about 40 miles into Missouri on the other side of the Mississippi River & STL.

I'd wager unnoticeable (by CDC standard) small communities got affected, and for them - the CDC never noticed. But my doctor did when I got sick, he just said it was the flu, even though I'd been vaccinated. I'm just now speculating that I might have breathed it. I remember feeling the tremor, guarantee you I was exposed to those spores, not only did I get the flu at the same time, I developed a gluten allergy, my lymph nodes got merced, and I was generally highly allergic to things I hadn't been all that allergic to and yes, losing my inhibitions would be an understatement. I have a feeling there was/is a communal

around that area.

Btw, Washington Park is a part of East STL, easily top 3 worst crime rates. But according to the charts in this link, the types of crimes that experienced an all-time high in East STL following the 2005 earthquake there were rape and assault, are highly consistent with what breathing coccidioides spores would do to a local community. Valley Fever can cause loss of inhibition, as well as delirium. If that's what was going on, the CDC would have royally slacked off in not picking up on that pathogen. 

Edited by Super Polymath