Science Forums

Why Do So Few Females Choose To Study Physics, Does That Matter, And What Can We Do To Change Things?

ElbowPatches

Hello everyone,

I'm a Physics teacher and I'm concerned by the fact that only about 20% of Physics students (at A level and undergraduate) are women, and this has remained the same for about 25-30 years. 

I'd appreciate it if you could follow this link: www.quicksurveys.com/s/c6J3EnS

to fill out a short survey for me. It should take less than 10 minutes, maybe more if you have a lot to say on the issue. If you have any suggestions about how to phrase the questions differently then please do reply and discuss in this thread.

Many thanks for any responses,

EB

Hello everyone,

I'm a Physics teacher and I'm concerned by the fact that only about 20% of Physics students (at A level and undergraduate) are women, and this has remained the same for about 25-30 years. 

I'd appreciate it if you could follow this link: www.quicksurveys.com/s/c6J3EnS

to fill out a short survey for me. It should take less than 10 minutes, maybe more if you have a lot to say on the issue. If you have any suggestions about how to phrase the questions differently then please do reply and discuss in this thread.

Many thanks for any responses,

EB

STEM programs concentrated on women seems a logical first step.  I participate in a STEM program every year; we do a week of talks here, then one day at the San Diego Festival of Science and Engineering for K-12 kids.

Also of note is how MIT dealt with the issue.  When I went there in the late 80's it was 25% women.  Now it's close to 50% - due mainly to very intensive outreach programs to women.