Science Forums

Ideas Concerning Space Travel At High Speed.

Darky

Eeh, the jist of what QQ's saying is right.

Gist, sure. Smarter people, better results. I just think he's being a bit specific (and magical) with his numbers.

(

Yes, there was (apparently) a time when some real scientists thought heavier than air flight was impossible, or that travelling faster than 100 MPH would mean a person couldn't breath, but knowing those things were wrong doesn't automatically make any other fantastical thought possible.

)

I do agree with the rest of your post. I expect it will be machines we colonise the Galaxy with. (Even if those machines re-build us elsewhere).

Yeah i was saying if our brain was 3 times larger we could have a Cheap nasa that doesn't build exploding spaceships

and most our science questions would be answered after a few months only

You seem to be missing the point that bigger is not necessarily better.  A lot of innovation is figuring how to accomplish more with less input.  In my occupation, dairy farming, we have limited access to capital, so we have to be able to improvise and operate in less than ideal circumstances.  We have a lot of computer controlled equipment, and sometimes when things fail, it's just a matter of rerouting electricity to bypass the failed control circuitry. I have had some such cobbled together repairs last over a year until we could afford the "proper" fix.

I have a below "genius" level IQ.

You seem to be missing the point that bigger is not necessarily better.  A lot of innovation is figuring how to accomplish more with less input.  In my occupation, dairy farming, we have limited access to capital, so we have to be able to improvise and operate in less than ideal circumstances.  We have a lot of computer controlled equipment, and sometimes when things fail, it's just a matter of rerouting electricity to bypass the failed control circuitry. I have had some such cobbled together repairs last over a year until we could afford the "proper" fix.

I have a below "genius" level IQ.

I dont get what your point is.

You have a below genius IQ, but you haven't made a spaceship that can go .99c.

My whole point is, if you want to make superior inventions, you need to upgrade the brain.

Or you can squabble sinking millions of dollars and years and strain your brain trying to create tech solutions outside of your normal capacity.

I thought our brains were the optimum size. Any larger and the distances the signals would have to travel for the brain to function would reduce its efficiency, I think.

http://www.science20.com/mark_changizi/why_doesn%E2%80%99t_size_matter%E2%80%A6_brain

The article says "Size Doesnt Matter" but eventually proves that Size Does Matter.

EQ is what matters...bigger brain relative to your body size (indicates, higher evolution of the brain.)

There is a limit due to latency between neurons, but we are not near the limit yet. Bigger brains will help more than they hurt, until they get so big the nuerons have too much lag.

3 times larger should be fine.

Edited by quickquestion

http://www.science20.com/mark_changizi/why_doesn%E2%80%99t_size_matter%E2%80%A6_brain

The article says "Size Doesnt Matter" but eventually proves that Size Does Matter.

EQ is what matters...bigger brain relative to your body size (indicates, higher evolution of the brain.)

There is a limit due to latency between neurons, but we are not near the limit yet. Bigger brains will help more than they hurt, until they get so big the nuerons have too much lag.

3 times larger should be fine.

Electrical signals travel at 268 MPH it would take a brain the size of a room before cognition gets impaired.

It's mainly how the human brain works compared how a larger elephant brain works that allows us to process so much more information.

When I speak of miniaturization I'm talking about not only does electricity flow faster in circuitry making computers calculate faster than humans, but if you replace an average person's neurons with artificial nanotech neurons he's going to be the smartest AI we've ever seen, remember Johnny Depp in transcendence, multiply that character after uploading to all the servers on earth to power his cognition a millionfold. No human, even a super polymath with 3 times more gray matter, and faster synaptic connections via ICT implanted transcranial direct current stimulation, could even compare to a brain made of artificial neurons composed of nanotech.

Surely brain size is not the only thing that matters regarding intelligence.  Also intelligence is often not the only limiting factor in making advances.. Often access to knowledge is more important.  My father was, in many ways smarter than I, but there are things I can do that he could not because I have access to information that was unavailable to him.

One of our biggest obstacles today is lack of interest in learning advanced science.  One of the reasons I come to this forum is that most of my friends do not share my interest in the sciences.

Surely brain size is not the only thing that matters regarding intelligence.  Also intelligence is often not the only limiting factor in making advances.. Often access to knowledge is more important.  My father was, in many ways smarter than I, but there are things I can do that he could not because I have access to information that was unavailable to him.

One of our biggest obstacles today is lack of interest in learning advanced science.  One of the reasons I come to this forum is that most of my friends do not share my interest in the sciences.

I think we're looking at intelligence wrong. It's not knowledge, it's not some arbitrary cognitive skill set. If you really break it down, intelligence has no meaning, not even something one can test for. You might be a lot more naturally innately adept at understanding aspects of science than someone 10 or 40 IQ points ahead of you, because the points were defined by a test that has a finite criteria. The truth, however, is that there's no limited criteria to how the intellect could be defined other than raw processing power. In which every human that has set number of neurons has exascale computing at their disposal, even a brilliant mathematician and a middle-school dropout homeless pot-head. Intelligence should not be looked as expertise, it should be looked at by our reasoning skills.

In the final episode of Season 2 of House MD, House is shot in the jugular and the blood-loss causes him to slip into an hallucinogenic coma. He's basically in the Matrix, everything he sees is an hallucination. Yet, he finds out that it's an hallucination, he tests for it, he reasons that as long as the hallucination makes sense to him he will remain within it, resolves to do something illogical and kill his patient, until everything makes no sense and his brain snaps back to reality. That's true intellect, the ability to know where you are even if your senses fail.

Reasoning allows us to look deeper into the information we receive as we interact with the world around us, reasoning allows us to form very complex ideas, to seek help, to admit we're wrong, to obey laws, it fuels communication and cooperation, if we want to understand the world better, reasoning will be the most important cognitive muscle to exercise. It allows forward thinking, so we plan for the future, it allows introspection so we learn from our past, most importantly

, a third a eye, a sixth sense.

Which among us is has the greatest reasoning skills? The only way to determine such a thing as reasoning abilities, to truthfully discern who's better at it, is to map all possible synaptic connections and mathematically optimize them to get your supreme genius. However, if a computer attempted to map out all possible synaptic connections the number is so large that it would create a

. Which is exactly what I meant by Strong AI using the human consciousness as the ultimate upgrade. Worth the space we use or the resources we consume, worth keeping us alive.  Edited by Super Polymath

Working towards my degree in Cyber Security I happen to be learning just how I might one day aid in alleviating some of the drawbacks of the hacks of the information age, add me on linkedin in a week, I have to make an account there for my employers. PM me your LinkedIn if you're interested.