Science Forums

Ideas Concerning Space Travel At High Speed.

Darky

A wormhole is something else. It doesn't require extra dimensions but I'm not sure how they're supposed to be able to do what's claimed. Yes, both hyperspace and wormholes are purely theoretical.

You misunderstand. There wouldn't be the same amount of force on opposite sides, that would cause no overall acceleration.

Once an object stops accelerating, it's inertial (at rest). Acceleration is the ONLY way to decelerate.

Deceleration is simply acceleration in the opposite of an arbitrary direction.

Hi,

In that case, how do you propose controlling something of such (to not apply more force to de-accelerate)? I don't like maths but in such cases, I feel it's necessary. To stop something you need to have a force of 0. Let's imagine the initial force being 4F, you'll need -4F to cancel it out. However, applying a force that accelerated you so far on the opposite arbitrary direction would be crushing something. It's like a car going at a speed of 6000 MPH and suddenly stopping.

No, you're still not getting it.

If an object accelerates and then 'decelerates' by the same amount then it will experience exactly the same amount of force both times because deceleration is just acceleration in the opposite direction.

The object would be under the same amount of physical stress both times.

All you need to do is figure out how gravity works, and then figure out how to  reduce the mass of your spaceship to zero, and acceleration won't be an issue.  How much more simple could it be ;)

Hi Genius,

How the hell are you suppose to do such? One of the rules are that replies of such must be supported by theories or actual facts. You're isn't, I suggest you delete your post. Thankyou.

The first real space explorers are probably going to be Von Neumann nano-probes, they self-replicate when they arrive at their destination, and probably will have artificial post-humans, that can be built on arrival but they would exist on board as

because these small relativistic beam powered sails that travel at .20 x c are tiny and won't fit a human sized android.

Reminds me of techno-Vikings, because normal Vikings pioneered ancient sailboats in water. Technovikings would use space fairing sail vessels. 

I believe we would favor beam powered sails that coast to their destination over fusion powered ion drives because in order to sustain stable fusion reaction you'd need to constantly add fuel to the fire, so to speak. The electronics would probably be better off with nano-solar collectors than fusion reactors. 

Edited by Super Polymath

Hi Genius,

How the hell are you suppose to do such? One of the rules are that replies of such must be supported by theories or actual facts. You're isn't, I suggest you delete your post. Thankyou.

Sorry, Darky, I sometimes forget that some people do not appreciate my sense of humor, however, I claim no credit in the idea of antigravity propulsion.  Here is a link, with my apology.  http://www.space.com/2026-antigravity-propulsion-system-proposed.html

The first real space explorers are probably going to be Von Neumann nano-probes, they self-replicate when they arrive at their destination, and probably will have artificial post-humans, that can be built on arrival but they would exist on board as

because these small relativistic beam powered sails that travel at .20 x c are tiny and won't fit a human sized android.

Reminds me of techno-Vikings, because normal Vikings pioneered ancient sailboats in water. Technovikings would use space fairing sail vessels. 

I believe we would favor beam powered sails that coast to their destination over fusion powered ion drives because in order to sustain stable fusion reaction you'd need to constantly add fuel to the fire, so to speak. The electronics would probably be better off with nano-solar collectors than fusion reactors.

Hi,

I've read an article on these before, however, like you said - they're too small to transport humans. Yes, increasing the number of lasers can work, however, again - that's experimental.

Nevertheless, this idea is merely for communication and resources going at high speeds (calling it transportation).

This topic is for travel (transportation of real life beings). If you got something for that, I'd like to read it.

Sorry, Darky, I sometimes forget that some people do not appreciate my sense of humor, however, I claim no credit in the idea of antigravity propulsion.  Here is a link, with my apology.  http://www.space.com/2026-antigravity-propulsion-system-proposed.html

Hi,

No need for apologies, I understood the humor. However, this is a serious discussion - try to make the humor as least as possible.

The idea is correct. One question, however is, what would you do about time dilation? At such speeds, time dilation would come into effect.

Hi,

No need for apologies, I understood the humor. However, this is a serious discussion - try to make the humor as least as possible.

The idea is correct. One question, however is, what would you do about time dilation? At such speeds, time dilation would come into effect.

Depending upon what your ultimate goal is that you want to achieve via interstellar travel, time dilation could actually be a benefit.   If you can achieve speeds close enough to light speed, then the travelers would experience  little of the time needed for their trip, so you eliminate the problems of eating and aging, and even radiation exposure should be reduced. But that is just my conjecture following a chain that seems logical to me.  Is that a valid line of thought?

Otherwise, other than "merely ;)"  becoming masters of mass and gravity, humanity would also have to learn to master time as well.  Perhaps if humanity becomes that advanced, a sort of time bubble could be constructed around the living quarters of the travelers.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already thought of that, too.

This, for some reason, led me to think about the film "Contact" where the aliens sent instructions for building a wormhole device.  Could an advanced race not find a planet inhabited by some reasonably intelligent life, and dupe them into doing the work of constructing the "artificial post-humans" and downloading the consciousnesses?  

My solution is to make the brain 3 times larger.

This will make the difference in our space travel night and day.

It's like a chimpanzee inventing a computer...A chimpanzee will never even invent the concept of of a computer. Some humans can invent the concept of a computer...but it stops there.

Humans can invent the concept of space travel...but it stops there.

If you really want to get anywhere, it starts with making the brain 3 times larger.

Investment theory...make an investment and get returns.

You want to get all the returns before making an investment.

You want to bypass enlarging the brain, and make bizarre inventions using minimum capacity.

It would like me trying to make Forza 4 using DOS computer technology.

Hi,

I've read an article on these before, however, like you said - they're too small to transport humans. Yes, increasing the number of lasers can work, however, again - that's experimental.

Nevertheless, this idea is merely for communication and resources going at high speeds (calling it transportation).

This topic is for travel (transportation of real life beings). If you got something for that, I'd like to read it.

Well, it's got superhumans on board. 

This, for some reason, led me to think about the film "Contact" where the aliens sent instructions for building a wormhole device.  Could an advanced race not find a planet inhabited by some reasonably intelligent life, and dupe them into doing the work of constructing the "artificial post-humans" and downloading the consciousnesses?  

Why? They only need to harness resources on location to replicate and build factories and what not. No need to go back a few notches in evolution with Von Neumann Probes.

AI piggy-backing on evolution was my solution to galaxies that are too distant for Von Neumann Probes. They use the most likely FTL method, turning quark technology into tachyons that can collapse their own wave function, they are atomic Von Neumann Probes that can realize their favorite futures. That technology is way on another level, it's not necessary, and even if you have it, not used for local galaxies or single galaxies because evolution takes a long time even when being accelerated. It's still quicker for distant galaxies. You create Kugelblitz engines and use the angular momentum of their artificial micro black holes to create a sort of supergravity-inducing centrifugal particle accelerator that can build all different kinds of hyper condensed quark matter or atomic metamaterials that can be stacked more closely together than normal atoms to build technology a femptometer (nano=billionth of a meter, pico=trillionth of a meter, fempto=quadrillionth of a meter) across and use the casimir effect to generate tachyons or warp fields if the femtorobot itself behaves like a tachyon for as long as need be. 

Edited by Super Polymath

My solution is to make the brain 3 times larger.

This will make the difference in our space travel night and day.

It's like a chimpanzee inventing a computer...A chimpanzee will never even invent the concept of of a computer. Some humans can invent the concept of a computer...but it stops there.

Humans can invent the concept of space travel...but it stops there.

If you really want to get anywhere, it starts with making the brain 3 times larger.

Investment theory...make an investment and get returns.

You want to get all the returns before making an investment.

You want to bypass enlarging the brain, and make bizarre inventions using minimum capacity.

It would like me trying to make Forza 4 using DOS computer technology.

Hi,

It's confirmed that us humans have used less than 10% of our brain. Making them larger would have no use if we can't exceed the 10% limit.

Hi,

It's confirmed that us humans have used less than 10% of our brain. Making them larger would have no use if we can't exceed the 10% limit.

That in of itself is a logical fallacy.

If my computer uses 10% CPU, if I get a bigger computer and better computer that only uses 10% CPU, the bigger and better computer will no doubt, have a better performance.

Depending upon what your ultimate goal is that you want to achieve via interstellar travel, time dilation could actually be a benefit.   If you can achieve speeds close enough to light speed, then the travelers would experience  little of the time needed for their trip, so you eliminate the problems of eating and aging, and even radiation exposure should be reduced. But that is just my conjecture following a chain that seems logical to me.  Is that a valid line of thought?

Otherwise, other than "merely ;)"  becoming masters of mass and gravity, humanity would also have to learn to master time as well.  Perhaps if humanity becomes that advanced, a sort of time bubble could be constructed around the living quarters of the travelers.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already thought of that, too.

Hi,

The goal is to travel at interstellar speeds without losing time. Time dilation at such extent could cause us to lose 10 years on earth everytime we make a trip to our nearest solar system (not to mention that's not interstellar travel). I'm afraid but, if this idea needs to be put to work, we need a solution. A force-field is mere fiction and not possible (It's a concept in Star-Trek to stop time dilation).