Science Forums

Fermi Paradox

Darky

Hi all,

A famous scientist Enrico Fermi was wondering one day and asked one question - "Where is everyone?"

Space is vast, containing over trillions of galaxies with billions of stars being 2% of them with a solar system of over 5 planets. Do the math; I used a calculator and instead of putting 5 trillion or 6 trillion as the number of galaxies, I used 1 trillion which is an understatement. Yet, the answer is extremely large, 1E+26. That's is the short form of the notation :

(10^26). That might seem small but add the zeros and you'll get the idea of how large the chances of such solar systems may be. Let's imagine 0.00000001% of them may support life. Do the math and you'll get the answer 1E+18 which is (10^18). That is still gigantic. If so, why haven't we seen any extra terrestrial (aliens) or other life forms yet? Are we alone or are we not? That's the Fermi Paradox.

-----

Possible solutions :

• We are alone.

Sad truth but possibly the right one. It's been over 2 milleniums since the modern calendar had started. However, there is no real proof of possible life in outer space except earth. Maybe, Earth is just the perfect combination and no other planet has been able to achieve that. The chances of that are very low but as far as 'real-talk' goes, it's proven right. It's a generalisation; and hasn't been proven wrong.

•Extra-terrestrial life has been found.

It's quite possible that extra terrestrial life has been found. It's quite possible that the governments are hiding the reality. However, all of this is quite fictional as someone may have exposed the truth.

•We're/They're not advanced enough yet.

It's quite possible that the life on the other side of the Galaxy isn't able to communicate with us. We're on a verge of major accomplishments of communications and we can hardly, if not at all communicate out of our galaxy. What makes you expect that they'll be better off at it? Okay, maybe they are (this is quite experimental, So if you're a facts person - skip); in which case they're superior to us (aka God-like). Maybe not god-like but far more advanced. They may not even communicate in the same frequency as we do. If we communicate at let's say 3000MHZ, they may be touching the 10K, and have abandoned the old methods (we're doing the same). In which case, they might not even be able to detect us and we probably are incapable of detecting them.

-----

Opinion wise; I like solution 3, as it's imaginative but also facts-related.

Check out this link, he presents some more and more extensively different scenarios:http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Hi,

Yes, I know.

I just explained it in a less gigantic way; making it so that people can understand it without any confusion. For a detailed information about it, the website you provided fits well. However, as it is; it's confusing to newcomers.