Science Forums

Omg Proton Beam Powered Propulsion?

Super Polymath

I know your typical laser beam powered sail uses heat as opposed force, but you're getting more heat and force if you blast the back end of a more durable nanoconstructed electric sail with beams of protons, generated from super particle accelerators, that have nearly the same velocity as c. While the LHC can produce high energy relativistic protons it's not actually designed to send them into focused beams into space. However, a larger collider and focuser network of particle accelerators could be built for slightly more than it would cost to build a carbon nanotube space elevator. This propulsion method is sort of like the nuclear pulse propulsion version of beam powered propulsion which can take small unmanned probes to mars in just 3 days, .05% of c. CraigD, how fast would a relativistic proton beam powered small unmanned probe be? A lot faster than 3 days, the probe itself should be moving faster than any other method of propulsion that we're close to achieving, right? We're talking about a constant Godlike voltage pressure pushing this sail. Like, literally atomic bomb levels of pressure I'd imagine. As opposed to a TNT pressure that can push a craft to mars at 0.05% of c.

All I could calculate is that the proton is moving 1.00151612->etc faster than normal. I couldn't really figure the velocity of the electric sail from that even if the normal velocity for such sails is 20 km/s it's definitely going to be moving a lot faster than 1.015->etc x 20 km/s, this is relativistic exponentiation, I have no clue how omg particles would effect the speed of the sail other than to say that normally protons pass through my body unnoticed but moving slightly faster it's like being hit with a 55 mph baseball. 

Edited by Super Polymath

Hi,

Nice idea. Protons are particles that build up mass. Anything with mass I suspect can't travel that fast (correct me if I'm wrong). Try using photons (particles making light).

I know what photons are, lol.

If you're an electric sail you get more push from relativistic particles moving faster than they're supposed to than you do from photons, the electrical energy generated is far greater, that's kind of the whole idea. What makes protons so much slower than photons (mass) is also what gives them greater energy as they approach C. 

Edited by Super Polymath

I know what photons are, lol.

If you're an electric sail you get more push from relativistic particles moving faster than they're supposed to than you do from photons, the electrical energy generated is far greater, that's kind of the whole idea. What makes protons so much slower than photons (mass) is also what gives them greater energy as they approach C.

Correct, indeed. Well done.