Science Forums

Leap Of Faith Is Possible! - Game Theorists (Matpat) Debunked

Integza

Stunt people do it all the time. Moreover, there are several documented high falls into not-so-soft material and in which the faller survived. See this: >> Alan Magee

Alan Eugene Magee (January 13, 1919 – December 20, 2003) was an American airman during World War II who survived a 22,000-foot (6,700 m) fall from his damaged B-17 Flying Fortress. He was featured in Smithsonian Magazine as one of the 10 most amazing survival stories of World War II. ...

• 4 weeks later...

Friends,

A few years ago I saw a clip of some Ninja trainees jumping off a bamboo scaffolding somewhere in Japan. All of them jumped from 3-stories while only a few hardcore like dudes jumped from 5-stories.

The Ninja used an odd landing technique where they landed face down stressing contacting the ground with the full surface of the forearms and shins to absorb the impact.

None of the dudes who jumped from the 5th story showed compound fractures, blood or obvious simple fractures. However they got up off the ground like they were thoroughly stove up. I wouldn't be surprised if they had many hairline fractures and some severe bruising.

The Ninja were jumping into grass. Jumping at night into an unscouted area I would be worried about getting the equivalent to a picket fence slat through my gut or my eye. Even an object the size of a tennis ball could seriously screw with your mojo. Yeah, I'd gone back to trying to land on my feet. Landing in the Turtle Ninja landing position—well a tennis ball sized stone could still break a shin or forearm.

On the other hand, Parkour practitioners have worked up to maneuvers that you would have sworn was impossible outside of a "Spiderman" comic book.

Often people don't try things because they're unaware they're even remotely possible.

In games or novels—I just assume that the character has a partial power of telekinesis or levitation that he may not even consciously realize that he has. He can't fly or even hover but he can cancel enough gravity to land much softer. The acceleration of gravity is 32 feet per second squared. If you could reduce it to 15 feet per second squared or even 8 feet per second squared obviously you could survive falls from greater heights.

No that isn't too credible—and that distresses me because all the other things in those type games is SO realistic…  :surprise:  :eek:  :surprise:

…..RVM45