Science Forums

Some Plants Do Not Have Brains

I have been wondering about this statement ever since I heard it from a not very bright character on in a hilarious TV series. Can you say this statement is true? If it is true, does that not imply that other plants actually do have brains? Or is there a category of statements which are neither true nor false? 

I have been wondering about this statement ever since I heard it from a not very bright character on in a hilarious TV series. Can you say this statement is true? If it is true, does that not imply that other plants actually do have brains? Or is there a category of statements which are neither true nor false? 

I think it will come down to how "some" is construed. If it is taken in the mathematical sense of a subset of a larger category, then it would be a true statement. I imagine Lewis Carroll would see it in this way. 

But if it is taken, as I think it often is in normal speech, as implying a subset with a characteristic different from the other members of the larger category, then it would be false.

Wonderful thing, language. 

Edited by exchemist

• 5 years later...

Some Plants Do Not Have Brains

This may be of interest;

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants Audiobook, by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Robin Wall Kimmerer is a mother, scientist, decorated professor, and enrolled member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation. She is the author of Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants, which has earned Kimmerer wide acclaim.

All biology consists of cellular organisms and considering the fact that cells communicate, is it fair to say that conscious intelligence evolved from cellular communication? 

Edited by write4u