Science Forums

Learning Science Through Fiction

It was proclaimed a "waste of time"  It could be that my sense of humor just left a bitter feeling .(note my post about jokes being dangerous).  

On the subject of fiction in science education, I recall a college engineering class with a textbook problem with Superman getting shot, and we had to calculate the energy he absorbed from having the bullets bounce off of him.  

I recently annoyed someone with a post about the Wizard of Oz.  Although I was trying to provide some levity, there was an actual chemistry question there.

Is there no room in education for that sort of laid back, and even possibly fun approach to teaching science?

Who says there is no one in chemistry with a sense of humour? : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsole   :)

It's even ring-shaped......

Edited by exchemist

Who says there is no one in chemistry with a sense of humour? : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsole :)

Arsoles are aromatic. Add a CH to an arsole and it becomes arsinine. :D

I don’t think any comedic creativity is involved, though, as these funny names come from just applying standard nomenclature rules when adding a bit of arsenic to a benzene ring.

Arsoles are aromatic. Add a CH to an arsole and it becomes arsinine. :D

I don’t think any comedic creativity is involved, though, as these funny names come from just applying standard nomenclature rules when adding a bit of arsenic to a benzene ring.

Yes I know. I was, er, yer know, joking. :)

This is an interesting molecule. Evidently there is enough p-orbital overlap to give some pi-bonding (very slightly shorter bond length than C-As single bond) and some aromatic properties (e.g. ring current),  in spite of the large size of a 4p orbital compared to the 2p ones on carbon. But as the Diels-Alder reaction shows, it is a sort of halfway house.

I don't understand the conflicting information about its boiling point. It is described as both a liquid and a gas and the BP data gives a range. It is said that it decomposes on heating, but at what temperature and to give what products is not explained.

Edited by exchemist

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Fact:  I learned a lot of science from reading science fiction.  Sensible SF, I must add.  Ben Bova, Greg Bear, Asimov and on and on and on.  Just skip the monsters and read the good stuff.   Moreover most learning is better when taught with humor and fun.  Don't let the brow-beaters get to you.  Enjoy.  And share all your good jokes with us.

Edited by hazelm

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...