Science Forums

Does Water Have A Memory?

current

Moderation note: The first 54 posts of this thread were split from the thread Water, because they are about a different subject

Well just put in ; does water have memory ? On youtube , there you will find very intriguing videos.

Edited by CraigD
Split from old thread and added moderation note

Well just put in ; does water have memory ? On youtube , there you will find very intriguing videos.

And also a lot of crap, including loads of homeopathic nonsense. :)

I have to say I have never heard any credible report of liquid water retaining a "memory", in the sense of a hole or structure representing something no longer present in it, as the homeopathic cranks claim.

There is however some evidence that at temperatures close to freezing point, water has a certain amount of short-range order, in the form of elements of the nascent ice structure. This explains why water starts to expand on being cooled from about 4C down to 0C. But this is not "memory".  

Current- Let's examine the hypothesis that water has memory.  Let's ignore, for the moment, that neither of us has any clue how such a thing could happen to be.  Instead, we will evaluate the claim on its merits and try to devise tests that evaluate our hypotheses.

We know that water is a molecule composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.  We also know that these molecules take place in innumerable chemical reactions including photosynthesis, respiration, and rust to name but a few.  We also know that in all cases, an oxygen atom behaves in exactly the way we would expect an oxygen atom to behave.  We also know that the same can be said of hydrogen atoms.

Now, the claim is made that a particular grouping of H2O molecules have a unique property.  Some claim memory, while others claim holiness.  I am not interested in the designation other than that the claim that this batch of hydrogen bonded to oxygen is significantly different than any other comparable batch.

My null hypothesis is that there is no discernible difference between purified water and holy or memorable water.  In order to disprove my hypothesis, you need to present evidence that this is incorrect.  Do you have any evidence that molecules of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom are able to perform in chemical experiments as if they are either holy or have memory?  If not, then I must conclude that my null hypothesis is the most accurate explanation of reality.

Edited by JMJones0424

Current- Let's examine the hypothesis that water has memory.  Let's ignore, for the moment, that neither of us has any clue how such a thing could happen to be.  Instead, we will evaluate the claim on its merits and try to devise tests that evaluate our hypotheses.

We know that water is a molecule composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.  We also know that these molecules take place in innumerable chemical reactions including photosynthesis, respiration, and rust to name but a few.  We also know that in all cases, an oxygen atom behaves in exactly the way we would expect an oxygen atom to behave.  We also know that the same can be said of hydrogen atoms.

Now, the claim is made that a particular grouping of H2O molecules have a unique property.  Some claim memory, while others claim holiness.  I am not interested in the designation other than that the claim that this batch of hydrogen bonded to oxygen is significantly different than any other comparable batch.

My null hypothesis is that there is no discernible difference between purified water and holy or memorable water.  In order to disprove my hypothesis, you need to present evidence that this is incorrect.  Do you have any evidence that molecules of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom are able to perform in chemical experiments as if they are either holy or have memory?  If not, then I must conclude that my null hypothesis is the most accurate explanation of reality.

Look at the numerous research papers and videos on water and memory of water .

The tests have been done .

End of story .

Scientific evidence is what science needs , yet when the evidence is given , they shy away , from the evidence .

Well gosh, I'd have never considered to look at the evidence that supported your claim had you not prompted me to do so.  However, because I'm an idiot, I can't read your mind.  What evidence do you propose that I should evaluate?  The tests, as you claim, have already been done, so it should be a simple task for you to provide evidence that supports your claim.  End of story.

Well gosh, I'd have never considered to look at the evidence that supported your claim had you not prompted me to do so.  However, because I'm an idiot, I can't read your mind.  What evidence do you propose that I should evaluate?  The tests, as you claim, have already been done, so it should be a simple task for you to provide evidence that supports your claim.  End of story.

I have whats the problem with evidence I have given ?

The problem is that you have given no evidence that water can have a memory or can be holy.  No such evidence exists.  Hydrogen acts as hydrogen does, oxygen likewise.  There is no evidence, certainly not that you have provided, that shows that in some instances, H2O does not behave exactly as we would expect H2O to behave.  The idea that water has memory is demonstrably false.  The idea that water can be holy depends on one's definition of holy, but again, water is as water does.  Your fantasy has no bearing on reality.

The problem is that you have given no evidence that water can have a memory or can be holy.  No such evidence exists.  Hydrogen acts as hydrogen does, oxygen likewise.  There is no evidence, certainly not that you have provided, that shows that in some instances, H2O does not behave exactly as we would expect H2O to behave.  The idea that water has memory is demonstrably false.  The idea that water can be holy depends on one's definition of holy, but again, water is as water does.  Your fantasy has no bearing on reality.

haven't I 

lets leave holy water out of this discussion .

Edited by current

On youtube there are numerous videos of questionable reliability.  I am asking you to provide, not a youtube video, but an explanation of why this particular grouping of hydrogen bonded to oxygen should behave differently than another similar grouping.  Failing that, I'd like an instance where water can be shown to have memory.  If water had a measurable property that could be described as memory, then you should be able to devise experiments that would test the limits of such memory and you should be able to make predictions about how this memorable water would act in the future.  As far as I know, no such evidence exists.  Have you tested water's memory?

Edited by JMJones0424