Science Forums

Silicon Graphite Generator

​Hey guys look at the crazy generator this guy assembled around some new "Si-Graphite" foam.

​These plates are able to produce a small & weak current but can gain power by simple scaling up.

​I don't understand quantum mechanics at all so I'm unfamiliar with the energy properties of space itself...

​But don't worry I'm not sad about it I don't give a damn, I'm just glad this physical chemistry was pierced !

​Okay the staff is ugly, complicated and expensive...but, it may have some good application isn't it ???

​I can see right now an extremely good application to the machine in the Diesel Truck industry !

​Why not make all the Trucks in the future completely battery-free and engine-freeze resistant ?!

​You mount that kind of equipment in replacement of Lead-Acid batteries and you're golden.

​You never charge battery, always have electronics turned On, and you're always able to de-freeze the engine !!! OMG

http://www.quantamagneticstore.com/q-beta-prototype.html

I’m pretty sure all the products at the “quantum magnetics store” are expensive scams. The lack of references to peer-reviewed science papers, or even sensible explanations, of how they work, is a fairly sure sign of a hoax. Here are a couple of threads reaching the same conclusion: “Quanta Magnetics: The "Blackbox" free energ”; Claim: Steorn's Orbo "Free" Energy Device. USB Charger.

There’s a whole ecosystem of businesses of various sizes that sells expensive devices and kits for perpetual motion machines, using a variety of tricks to avoid the legal consequences of outright fraud, from simply being impossible for civil or criminal courts to find, to selling their wares to “experimenters” implying that there’s no guarantee they actually do the physically impossible things their advertisement suggest the do. IMO, it’s an ugly business that promotes and preys on the naivety and lack of sound science education of its customers/victims.

That said, there are a real physical phenomena that suggest that it might be possible to get energy from what, in classical physics, is nothing: the Casimir effect. In short, one explanation of this effect, which has been uncontroversially been show to really exist, is that is when the when its 2 uncharged conductive plates are placed the required few nanometers apart, more or fewer of the many virtual particle that quantum physics predict appear and disappear constantly and usually undetectably even in a perfect classical vacuum appear between the plates than outside them, resulting in a tiny but measurable mechanical force on the plates.

Although in all Casimir effect-detecting experiement, the mechanical work done setting up the plates is much larger than that resulting from the effect, in principle, it could be made smaller, resulting in a tiny “something from nothing” energy output.

Various inventors have tried to invent schemes where not is the “setup” work to produce the Casimir effect made smaller than the effect’s, but the effect is scaled up to a non-tiny magnitude. One of the more promising (though not necessarily very promising), but as yet unsuccessful approaches, assumes that the light produced by sonoluminescence, where vibrations of a fluid produce tiny, light-producing bubbles, is due not to the usall explanation of brief high temperatures, but by the Casimir effect, so it might be possible to get more energy from the light than is used to produce the vibrations that cause it. While a fringe theory, IMHO it’s not incredible – this self-published paper by engineer Thomas Valone is one of a few suggesting this possibility.

​The price remain a mystery, but I'm really waiting to buy the small "usb device charger" he announced was coming...

​Sorry I'm unable to get deeply into the physics of it ('cause I just don't know !) but the overall chemistry seem well inspired.

​And yeah again staff's very weak, but it's far enough to charge mobile phones, which would be one less stress in my life.

​You take the phone + the Si-Graphite Charger and you're joinable 24/7 nonstop, everywhere, OFF-GRID !!!

​I don't know maybe up to...200$ I may still buy one ! If its 100 I buy two !

I’m pretty sure all the products at the “quantum magnetics store” are expensive scams. The lack of references to peer-reviewed science papers, or even sensible explanations, of how they work, is a fairly sure sign of a hoax. Here are a couple of threads reaching the same conclusion: “Quanta Magnetics: The "Blackbox" free energ”; Claim: Steorn's Orbo "Free" Energy Device. USB Charger.

There’s a whole ecosystem of businesses of various sizes that sells expensive devices and kits for perpetual motion machines, using a variety of tricks to avoid the legal consequences of outright fraud, from simply being impossible for civil or criminal courts to find, to selling their wares to “experimenters” implying that there’s no guarantee they actually do the physically impossible things their advertisement suggest the do. IMO, it’s an ugly business that promotes and preys on the naivety and lack of sound science education of its customers/victims.

That said, there are a real physical phenomena that suggest that it might be possible to get energy from what, in classical physics, is nothing: the Casimir effect. In short, one explanation of this effect, which has been uncontroversially been show to really exist, is that is when the when its 2 uncharged conductive plates are placed the required few nanometers apart, more or fewer of the many virtual particle that quantum physics predict appear and disappear constantly and usually undetectably even in a perfect classical vacuum appear between the plates than outside them, resulting in a tiny but measurable mechanical force on the plates.

Although in all Casimir effect-detecting experiement, the mechanical work done setting up the plates is much larger than that resulting from the effect, in principle, it could be made smaller, resulting in a tiny “something from nothing” energy output.

Various inventors have tried to invent schemes where not is the “setup” work to produce the Casimir effect made smaller than the effect’s, but the effect is scaled up to a non-tiny magnitude. One of the more promising (though not necessarily very promising), but as yet unsuccessful approaches, assumes that the light produced by sonoluminescence, where vibrations of a fluid produce tiny, light-producing bubbles, is due not to the usall explanation of brief high temperatures, but by the Casimir effect, so it might be possible to get more energy from the light than is used to produce the vibrations that cause it. While a fringe theory, IMHO it’s not incredible – this self-published paper by engineer Thomas Valone is one of a few suggesting this possibility.

Craig, this strikes me as quite wrong.

The existence of a force between two plates does NOT imply the ability to extract work in a continuous cycle. (I had to go through something similar with our perpetual motion friend on the other thread).

Those people who claim they can extract energy from the quantum vacuum are in my view making a fundamental error, due to failing to understand QM, the Uncertainty Principle and zero-point energy. The vacuum fluctuations are a ground state (of the vacuum) and it is impossible, by definition, to get an energy state below the ground state.

Thus no energy can be extracted. 

One sometimes comes across a similar error in people thinking that somehow the zero-point energy in matter can be harnessed. It can't. 

​The price remain a mystery, but I'm really waiting to buy the small "usb device charger" he announced was coming...

​Sorry I'm unable to get deeply into the physics of it ('cause I just don't know !) but the overall chemistry seem well inspired.

​And yeah again staff's very weak, but it's far enough to charge mobile phones, which would be one less stress in my life.

​You take the phone + the Si-Graphite Charger and you're joinable 24/7 nonstop, everywhere, OFF-GRID !!!

​I don't know maybe up to...200$ I may still buy one ! If its 100 I buy two !

It's ballocks and a scam.

This is a perpetual motion machine, violating the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. It can't and won't work.  You don't need chemistry to realise that, just the basic school physics of a 13yr old. 

​Hey exchemist, I got a bad news for you, you're not Divine man !

What you know & understand about theoritecal physics is only good for you dude.

If we're talking about physical chemistry, it means we want the staff to work,

even if we don't understand the details of "Why it does work ?".

Please don't start with these "Why" questions, that's just hardcore "natural philosophy" !

But here you should just dive into the technical details, if ever interested of course.

I don't like theoretical physics but I know simple applied physics is always necessary.

I'm more interested in practical chemistry, in fact, "practical everything" is my intimate conviction...

If you engage in engineering saying "I can't manufacture what I don't already master" you're "Ancient China",

but if the attitude is "I may meet or even exceed my needs by working raw materials in ways that sound crazy but work just fine",

now we're talking "Western Civilization" !!!

​Hey exchemist, I got a bad news for you, you're not Divine man !

What you know & understand about theoritecal physics is only good for you dude.

If we're talking about physical chemistry, it means we want the staff to work,

even if we don't understand the details of "Why it does work ?".

Please don't start with these "Why" questions, that's just hardcore "natural philosophy" !

But here you should just dive into the technical details, if ever interested of course.

I don't like theoretical physics but I know simple applied physics is always necessary.

I'm more interested in practical chemistry, in fact, "practical everything" is my intimate conviction...

If you engage in engineering saying "I can't manufacture what I don't already master" you're "Ancient China",

but if the attitude is "I may meet or even exceed my needs by working raw materials in ways that sound crazy but work just fine",

now we're talking "Western Civilization" !!!

No, I'm not divine. I do however have a degree in chemistry and I know my basic thermodynamics.

What I know of physics isn't "good only for me, dude", it is good for everyone, everywhere. That's the thing with science. In science you can't just make your own sh1t up.   

I am not asking "why" questions, I am telling you something you do not seem to have realised for yourself. It does not work. It cannot work.

This is a criminal scam. Its object is to defraud gullible people.   

Edited by exchemist

On their website, there is a Made in USA caption. Of course no Company address, only an email address for contact. A quick search finds there is no such company, no such name,  registered in the USA, and probably nowhere else.

Are some people really falling for this scam and shelling out thousands of dollars? Another proof of PT Barnum’s Axiom "There's a sucker born every minute"

On their website, there is a Made in USA caption. Of course no Company address, only an email address for contact. A quick search finds there is no such company, no such name,  registered in the USA, and probably nowhere else.

Are some people really falling for this scam and shelling out thousands of dollars? Another proof of PT Barnum’s Axiom "There's a sucker born every minute"

Merci, Commissaire Maigret! C'est tout à fait comme je disais. 

"It does not work. It cannot work." Oh okay, thanks God, sorry for the inconvenience...

​Hey people, the Lords of Knowledge have spoken, no more experimental science ! Damn !!! Too bad...

​That's it we found everything, let's just worship the Government & big Corporations,

​they have enough money to create fanatic "believers" that can't think without books,

​oh yes and books written by their slaves, in universities financed by them, and publishing

​in journals owned by the very same big money gangs...

​I still would like to test this kind of device for myself, if it's not too costly, I'll definitely take a chance.

​But the original motivation was just little me & my cellphone battery anxiety lol !

"It does not work. It cannot work." Oh okay, thanks God, sorry for the inconvenience...

​Hey people, the Lords of Knowledge have spoken, no more experimental science ! Damn !!! Too bad...

​That's it we found everything, let's just worship the Government & big Corporations,

​they have enough money to create fanatic "believers" that can't think without books,

​oh yes and books written by their slaves, in universities financed by them, and publishing

​in journals owned by the very same big money gangs...

​I still would like to test this kind of device for myself, if it's not too costly, I'll definitely take a chance.

​But the original motivation was just little me & my cellphone battery anxiety lol !

If you have money to throw away, that is, of course your business, but you did ask us here what we thought.  

I don't know about you, but when I learned physics is school, we did experiments, and we did find for ourselves that the conservation of energy holds true.  My college physics courses consisted of textbooks,  a lecture and a laboratory.  If you had adequate training in the sciences you would know that there is more to an experiment than just getting something to work.  You have to take measurements and explain every aspect of what you are doing.  No lab experiment is adequate without a proper report.

​Naaaaah ! You guys are just boring old men forget it, go back to your crosswords guys ! lol

This staff is just too good to be true people, I really understand, it's just not your generation...

​We fresh young dudes don't have much of that narrow mindset your breed needed to survive nazi invasion etc...

​Now that war is over, there's no more rationing camarades, it's going to be free cellphone charges for my homies !

​Look at that sweet little treat of a gadget, that baby's HOT !!!

I'll be damned if I don't get one !!! OUUUWI !

​Naaaaah ! You guys are just boring old men forget it, go back to your crosswords guys ! lol

This staff is just too good to be true people, I really understand, it's just not your generation...

​We fresh young dudes don't have much of that narrow mindset your breed needed to survive nazi invasion etc...

​Now that war is over, there's no more rationing camarades, it's going to be free cellphone charges for my homies !

That's true!  And in this brave new world there is a lot of money to be had by selling these things to broadminded fresh young dudes!

In fact, I will go one better.  I will sell you a box based on zero point energy that will power your entire home for free.  Only $3499, and guaranteed to work as well as the Blackbox charger.

Edited by billvon

​Look at that sweet little treat of a gadget, that baby's HOT !!!

I'll be damned if I don't get one !!! OUUUWI !

There is an old English saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted." Good luck. 

If you have money to throw away, that is, of course your business, but you did ask us here what we thought.  

I don't know about you, but when I learned physics is school, we did experiments, and we did find for ourselves that the conservation of energy holds true.  My college physics courses consisted of textbooks,  a lecture and a laboratory.  If you had adequate training in the sciences you would know that there is more to an experiment than just getting something to work.  You have to take measurements and explain every aspect of what you are doing.  No lab experiment is adequate without a proper report.

Actually it's interesting how the 1st Law is taught. I was taught at school that energy conservation is empirically observed to be true and that is the basis for the "Law". It was only recently that I encountered a deeper explanation of it, in terms of something called Noether's Theorem. 

I quote the key passage from the Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy , on conservation of energy:

"The theorem states every continuous symmetry of a physical theory has an associated conserved quantity; if the theory's symmetry is time invariance then the conserved quantity is called "energy". The energy conservation law is a consequence of the shift symmetry of time; energy conservation is implied by the empirical fact that the laws of physics do not change with time itself."

This strikes me as pretty cool: conservation of energy is a consequence of the finding (empirical, I guess) that the laws of physics do not change with time! 

I'd never previously heard of Emmy Noether. She published her theorem in 1915. Another of the unsung female heroes of modern science, it seems.  

"the laws of physics do not change with time"

​Emmy Noether, good old (lost) breed of Ladies...The Laws of Physics are symetric through Time...

I enjoy the way this concept is expressed, but intimately I really wonder if what we call

"Laws of Physics" & "Time" could just be the same thing after all...Anyway, God knows best !

These Laws we like to study so much, we need not dismiss the limitation of our grasp over their description !

The way some people behave towards Scientific Knowledge makes me think about the problem encountered

by some Computer Programmers who created maps that would also represent distances, but when people would

choose to zoom beyond the level of details intended by the makers, users would read totally unreal distances !!!

Let's not worship the representations that we make of the world, that would only be a hidden form of idolatry...

"the laws of physics do not change with time"

​Emmy Noether, good old (lost) breed of Ladies...The Laws of Physics are symetric through Time...

I enjoy the way this concept is expressed, but intimately I really wonder if what we call

"Laws of Physics" & "Time" could just be the same thing after all...Anyway, God knows best !

These Laws we like to study so much, we need not dismiss the limitation of our grasp over their description !

The way some people behave towards Scientific Knowledge makes me think about the problem encountered

by some Computer Programmers who created maps that would also represent distances, but when people would

choose to zoom beyond the level of details intended by the makers, users would read totally unreal distances !!!

Let's not worship the representations that we make of the world, that would only be a hidden form of idolatry...

At at last, a statement from you I can both make sense of and agree with.