Science Forums

Choice Of Avatar

Maine farmer

In the good old days I had long hair :-) And was studying. Also, since not much thought went into my forum-name (name of a song playing in background when signing up) and then there were a lot of discussions about religion on the forum, I thought to make my avatar + forum name neutral by adding some photoshop, following the +1 + (-1)=0 logic :-).

My avatar is something I made to match the the frame that went around a post, back when Hypography was using different forum software. It looked as if I had no avatar image at all. I did it as a joke, so that people who pay attention to such things would be puzzled at how I’d managed not to have an avatar image, and as a vague statement that it was more important to focus on my text than my decoration.

When we changed forum software some years ago, to something that didn’t display your avatar over the post frame, I didn’t bother changing avatars, so now it’s a nostalgic reminder of bygone days, and a testament to my fundamental laziness. :)

Pulled a Sampson, Cut my long hair off. Put short-haired-me up to reflect my IRL face.

Prior to this was one with me as a long hair, leaning back on my couch, and "holding" a lensflare in my hand. That one had a bunch of symbolism.

Yeah but who gave you the two black eyes? :vava:

Me, I am a sailor in real life, marine engineer on a large research vessel; not a scientist myself but I get to baby-sit work with a lot of them. And I lost an eye some time ago in a boating accident.

I am what I am and that’s all what I am . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .