Science Forums

Groupthink

LaurieAG

Is it just me or do things, particularly with respect to certain social media memes etc, seem to denote a large Groupthink campaign by both sides lately?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.

You may as well be religious if you believe that your side is full of saints and the opposition is full of sinners. 

It's not surprising really, as the Overperform and Underperform patterns from the D.I.S.C. system (with no MBTI equivalents) were removed in the early 90's, after the lie detector test was discontinued. 

Whoever removed the Overperform and Underperform patterns from D.I.S.C. really did the world a huge disservice as it was a really good test that would tell you when someone selected all the 'good' options or all the 'bad' options. It doesn't really matter whether they were on drugs or had a physical condition as they were either lying through their teeth, or you really were testing Mahatma Gahndi or Adolph Hitler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISC_assessment

DISC is a behavior assessment tool based on the DISC theory of psychologist William Moulton Marston, which centers on four different behavioral traits: [[dominance,] inducement, submission, and compliance. This theory was then developed into a behavioral assessment tool by industrial psychologist Walter Vernon Clarke.

I think people become more herd like or tribal when they feel threatened - the question is why do they feel so threatened?

Or another hypothesis my be that ideology is replacing the sense of belonging that other groups - extended family, neighborhoods, towns, churches, businesses - used to provide, and now these things seem less reliable.