Science Forums

Scientific Publications For The Public

faysunKle

If one walks in the library of a public (not private) university (usa) he can find in the appropriate section hundreds of scientific journals archived and can read the specific article he is interested in. (doesn't have to be a student) some times the latest issues are not there yet because most probably they're still in some professor's office while he is reading it. I think professors are asking the libraries to subscribe to journals and they go to them first and circulated amongst them and then they're send for archiving. One sees them on their desks when going to their offices.

The researchers can't afford to wait to find out what their colleagues are publishing on their field of interest, this means in my opinion that the libraries will not stop the subscriptions if the journals offer for free their content after say two years of publication. Libraries and research institutions i believe, are 90% of the subscribers,so the publishers will not really loose income. We know that their input has been useful for dozens of years and they organize the peer reviewing. One may wonder what the scientists believe in addition to the open access movement.

All this came to my mind again when i saw what i think is the right thing with the journal memory and learning, they make their content freely available one year after first published. Some people who read regularly research update stories from the appropriate sites (eurekalert, sciencedaily etc) feel some times like reading the publication itself. But if it's not open access (for newer ones) or the researcher has not loaded somewhere to be available, even if it is five or ten years old, they ask for fees. We wouldn't pay for them any fee but imagine what one thinks when they are charging 35, whatever dollars or euros.

IF ONE WALKS IN THE LIBRARY OF A PUBLIC (NOT PRIVATE) UNIVERSITY (USA) HE CAN FIND IN THE APPROPRIATE SECTION HUNDREDS OF SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS  ARCHIVED AND CAN READ THE SPECIFIC ARTICLE HE IS INTERESTED IN. (DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A STUDENT) SOME TIMES THE LATEST ISSUES ARE NOT THERE YET BECAUSE MOST PROBABLY THEY'RE STILL IN SOME PROFESSOR'S OFFICE WHILE HE IS READING IT. I THINK PROFESSORS ARE ASKING THE LIBRARIES TO SUBSCRIBE TO JOURNALS AND THEY GO TO THEM FIRST AND CIRCULATED AMONGST THEM AND THEN THEY'RE SEND FOR ARCHIVING. ONE SEES THEM ON THEIR DESKS WHEN GOING TO THEIR OFFICES.

THE RESEARCHERS CAN'T AFFORD TO WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT THEIR COLLEAGUES ARE PUBLISHING ON THEIR FIELD OF INTEREST,  THIS MEANS IN MY OPINION THAT THE LIBRARIES WILL NOT STOP THE SUBSCRIPTIONS  IF THE JOURNALS OFFER FOR FREE THEIR CONTENT AFTER SAY TWO YEARS OF PUBLICATION. LIBRARIES AND RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS I BELIEVE, ARE 90% OF THE SUBSCRIBERS,SO THE PUBLISHERS WILL NOT REALLY LOOSE INCOME.  WE KNOW THAT THEIR INPUT HAS BEEN USEFUL FOR DOZENS OF YEARS AND THEY ORGANIZE THE PEER REVIEWING. ONE MAY WONDER WHAT THE SCIENTISTS BELIEVE IN ADDITION TO THE OPEN ACCESS MOVEMENT. 

ALL THIS CAME TO MY MIND AGAIN WHEN I SAW WHAT I THINK IS THE RIGHT THING WITH THE JOURNAL MEMORY AND LEARNING, THEY MAKE THEIR CONTENT FREELY AVAILABLE ONE YEAR AFTER FIRST PUBLISHED. SOME PEOPLE WHO READ REGULARLY RESEARCH UPDATE STORIES FROM THE APPROPRIATE SITES (EUREKALERT, SCIENCEDAILY etc) FEEL SOME TIMES LIKE READING THE PUBLICATION ITSELF.  BUT IF IT'S NOT OPEN ACCESS (FOR NEWER ONES) OR THE RESEARCHER HAS NOT LOADED SOMEWHERE TO BE AVAILABLE, EVEN IF IT IS FIVE OR TEN YEARS OLD, THEY ASK FOR FEES. WE WOULDN'T PAY FOR THEM ANY FEE BUT IMAGINE WHAT ONE THINKS WHEN THEY ARE CHARGING 35, WHATEVER DOLLARS OR EUROS.

I'm sorry but I can't work out what point you are trying to make. Can you clarify this?