Science Forums

Smart Versus Stupid

Typically in the American vernacular, smart is interchangeable with intelligent, which I took to be the  intended definition based on the context of it's usage  in the original post.

We are not discussing intellect .

Just smart vs stupid . Which to me is about being practical.

Yes we are - look at Farming guy above. Smart vs stupid is very much to do with intellect.

A lot of people who can memorize facts consider themselves to be smart, but some of those people may not have the understanding of the facts to put them to practical use.  Have you ever heard any old-timers talk about "educated fools"?  "A fool with an education is still a fool."  I was told a long time ago.

A lot of people who can memorize facts consider themselves to be smart, but some of those people may not have the understanding of the facts to put them to practical use.  Have you ever heard any old-timers talk about "educated fools"?  "A fool with an education is still a fool."  I was told a long time ago.

Smart is memorizing facts . Thats the thing . You are right .

Education of a fool is still a fool . True .

The problem is that in post 10 the US usage "smart" was said - by one of our American contributors - to be synonymous with "intelligent", rather than "knowledgeable", whereas I think you are using it to mean the latter. 

The problem is that in post 10 the US usage "smart" was said - by one of our American contributors - to be synonymous with "intelligent", rather than "knowledgeable", whereas I think you are using it to mean the latter. 

Don't you just love the English language?  http://www.dictionary.com/browse/smart? There is is, so we can look at a common set of definitions.   I concede that there are cultural differences in word usage.  From the original post, I took to meaning of the word to be the opposite of "stupid"  Now, should I look up "stupid", too?  Maybe later, I see it's almost time to feed the cows.