Science Forums

History Algorithms

History is a study of -

* people

* events

* how people are connected to events

A closer analysis reveals that there some discrete patterns in history (possibly fractals ?!).

Consider the case of Napoleon and Hitler -

* Both were dictators

* Both were successful in a country other than where they were born

* Both invaded the Soviet Union

* Both fell victim to the Russian winter

A discrete algorithm emerges that suggests that the devil is, indeed, in the detail.

Do you agree ?  :sherlock:  :sherlock:  :sherlock:

Edited by petrushkagoogol

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. ~ George Santayana

History is a study of -

* people
* events

A closer analysis reveals that there some discrete patterns in history (possibly fractals ?!).
* Both were dictators

A discrete algorithm emerges that suggests that the devil is, indeed, in the detail.

I don't believe you have shown the existence or value of any actual algorithm here. All you have is some elements of a pattern that has repeated itself. For this to be an algorithm, you would have to show that if a dictator is born outside the country he leads and invades Russia, then it follows that he will be defeated by the Russian winter. By the way, both were short men, as well.........

If there is really a lesson of history here, it is probably that invading Russia is usually a bad idea - too big, so ideal for a "scorched earth" defence strategy, and weather too extreme. 

I don't believe you have shown the existence or value of any actual algorithm here. All you have is some elements of a pattern that has repeated itself. For this to be an algorithm, you would have to show that if a dictator is born outside the country he leads and invades Russia, then it follows that he will be defeated by the Russian winter. By the way, both were short men, as well.........

If there is really a lesson of history here, it is probably that invading Russia is usually a bad idea - too big, so ideal for a "scorched earth" defence strategy, and weather too extreme. 

Seems more like a "deliberate coincidence" to me.....

Here is a c# program to illustrate the algorithm ......

string person;
string environment;
string invadedcountry;
string season;

if (person == 'Napoleon' || person == 'Hitler') environment = 'war';
while (environment == 'war') 
{

if (invadedcountry == 'Russia' && season== 'winter') outcome = 'lose'; break;

}

print 'war is over';

Are you a deliberate sock-puppet of Mariel33, or is it just a coincidence that you both start the most blathering of threads?

Hmmm... i would say neither !  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

Are you a deliberate sock-puppet of Mariel33, or is it just a coincidence that you both start the most blathering of threads?

Here is a c# program to illustrate the algorithm ......

string person;
string environment;
string invadedcountry;
string season;

if (person == 'Napoleon' || person == 'Hitler') environment = 'war';
while (environment == 'war') 
{

if (invadedcountry == 'Russia' && season== 'winter') outcome = 'lose'; break;

}

print 'war is over';

Hmmm... i would say neither !  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

How utterly useless. 

History is a study of -

* people
* events

* Both were dictators

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d9723bcc9a/scary-similarities-between-abraham-lincoln-and-john-f-kennedy

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/26/8_striking_parallels_between_the_u_s_and_the_roman_empire/

Keep in mind correlation vs causation.

I suspect it is some sort of fractal algorithm that exposes itself as nested hidden symmetries  :innocent:  :innocent:

There were some uncanny resemblances as well :

• Both had unhappy childhoods
  • Both were fascists
  • Both used the Roman greeting of the outstretched arm
  • Both were European - Napoleon a Corsican, Hitler an Austrian.... and so on

Leaves room for some introspection !!!  :zip:  :zip:  :zip:

There were some uncanny resemblances as well :

• Both had unhappy childhoods
  • Both were fascists
  • Both used the Roman greeting of the outstretched arm
  • Both were European - Napoleon a Corsican, Hitler an Austrian.... and so on

Leaves room for some introspection !!!  :zip:  :zip:  :zip:

Which of these similarities could possibly be uncanny?

One difference is that Napoleon probably had two testicles (although I have absolutely no proof of that - he might even have had three)

There is reliable research which indicates that Hitler only had one. 

Don't forget to include that in your algorithm.

One difference is that Napoleon probably had two testicles (although I have absolutely no proof of that - he might even have had three)

Now that you mention it :

Hitler is supposed to have had an immobile left shoulder - which is why he is always observed as saluting with his right hand

He is supposed to have suffered from IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome), apple pie being his favorite dish

I honestly am not aware of any parallels for Napoleon !

Please let me know if you come across the same.

The fractal iterative pattern as a function of time evolution still holds ....

Found an interesting link - 

https://www.factretriever.com/adolf-hitler-facts

Hitler once ordered a team of phrenologists to take measurements of his skull. They concluded that his skull was “just like Napoleon’s” and they had seen “nothing like it since Frederick the Great.”  :zip:  :zip:

AFAIK Napoleon was born premature. Don't know about Hitler, but judging by the above seems plausible.

Preemies have inguinal hernia that leads to undescended testes.

That seems to explain the anomaly that you refer to above.   :zip:   :zip:   :zip: