Science Forums

Reason To Worry?

WVBigfooter

I have a 34 year old female friend who has always been thin as long as I've known her (5'5" 105lbs.) A year ago or so, she changed diet drastically & a couple months ago, she also started going to the gym 3 days/week  and talks a lot about fitness, diet, health, etc... She doesn't seem to have an ounce of fat on her body. Should I be worried?

I have a 34 year old female friend who has always been thin as long as I've known her (5'5" 105lbs.) A year ago or so, she changed diet drastically & a couple months ago, she also started going to the gym 3 days/week  and talks a lot about fitness, diet, health, etc... She doesn't seem to have an ounce of fat on her body. Should I be worried?

Is she worried?

I have a 34 year old female friend who has always been thin as long as I've known her (5'5" 105lbs.) A year ago or so, she changed diet drastically & a couple months ago, she also started going to the gym 3 days/week and talks a lot about fitness, diet, health, etc... She doesn't seem to have an ounce of fat on her body. Should I be worried?

You should be moderately worried.

According to credible websites like this US NIH one, that height and mass calculates to a BMI of 17.5, which is less than the 18.5-24.9 normal range, and clinically considered a possible indication of anorexia nervosa. It is not as low as the average BMI of 31.1 for people admitted to hospitals of anorexia found in studies like this one.

Health depends on many things, though, so her BMI by itself shouldn’t be considered a sure indication of disease. It would be best for her to see an MD or other qualified clinician.

She's not worried at all. She thinks her body is perfect now & a couple weeks ago, she got very upset when a girl called her "skinny" You would've thought the girl tried to kill her or something

That suggests she IS worried. Someone relaxed and confident about her own body would not react like that.

If she goes to the gym and eats healthily she should not lose weight but redistribute it. I think it is important to keep an eye on what she eats. People exercising a lot should have healthy appetites, not live on carrot juice and salad. If this is what she is doing while going to the gym, then yes you should be concerned. (I was a member of a rowing club for years and the girls there used to eat like horses - and they needed to.)

That suggests she IS worried. Someone relaxed and confident about her own body would not react like that.

If she goes to the gym and eats healthily she should not lose weight but redistribute it. I think it is important to keep an eye on what she eats. People exercising a lot should have healthy appetites, not live on carrot juice and salad. If this is what she is doing while going to the gym, then yes you should be concerned. (I was a member of a rowing club for years and the girls there used to eat like horses - and they needed to.)

She says she still weighs the same & that's possible since she's working out 3 days a week. That could be why she looks smaller

She says she still weighs the same & that's possible since she's working out 3 days a week. That could be why she looks smaller

Well then, that may be OK. Some people are naturally skinny. But if she is going to the gym 3 times/week she ought to have a healthy appetite and to be eating a balanced diet, without neurotic food fads. 

I’m no doctor, but I do work out a lot. 5’5’’ and 105 lbs seems a bit borderline to me. That’s a BMI of 17.4. While only slightly under the “normal” range; it doesn’t sound good that she is working out with the stated intention of reducing “fat” that she doesn’t have!  

Maybe you can find a way to discreetly tell her that she would look even sexier if she gained about 5 lbs? But be prepared to duck and protect yourself if you do; that gym might be teaching her kickboxing!

BUT  if she looks anything like this, I would leave well enough alone.

1e2af923b3f15a979a35a0c8c6c0dfd4.jpg

I’m no doctor, but I do work out a lot. 5’5’’ and 105 lbs seems a bit borderline to me. That’s a BMI of 17.4. While only slightly under the “normal” range; it doesn’t sound good that she is working out with the stated intention of reducing “fat” that she doesn’t have!  

Maybe you can find a way to discreetly tell her that she would look even sexier if she gained about 5 lbs? But be prepared to duck and protect yourself if you do; that gym might be teaching her kickboxing!

BUT  if she looks anything like this, I would leave well enough alone.

1e2af923b3f15a979a35a0c8c6c0dfd4.jpg

She does do kickboxing, Reiki, Yoga & I'm not sure what all else. She let it slip the other day that she had dropped down to about 100lbs.  but had gained about that much back, in muscle. She seems to be proud of putting on muscle. But I'm suspicious about her claim of being back up to 105 because I'm starting to be able to see ribs