Science Forums

Wolf Moon

fahrquad

The SRT series, if anyone is interested besides me (not that I have been particularly interested in about 17 years).  I felt like I had gone as far as I could go without putting a darkroom in the wife's bathroom (nice counter top, water and sewer access, and a 120V AC outlet)(but she would be pissed.  The hallway bathroom back then in MY first house did not have a window  I really need to pick up a good digital camera and pick up where I left off (my is emphasized because I had the house for 17 years before I go married).

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/SRT%20Series.htm

I did not see the Apollo 11 LEM base or lunar rover. :irked:

Here ya’ are:

584392main_M168000580LR_ap17_area.jpg

This was shot in 2011 by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter from an altitude of about 21 km.

Apparently Voyager 1 is now in interstellar space and Voyager 2 is just about there.

Pioneer 10 died in 2005 and Pioneer 11 died in 2003 when their nuclear piles had decayed so much that they could not generate enough electricity to send a signal.

Voyager 1 is expected to keep sending data ‘til 2020, maybe as late as 2025. From what I gather, it could continue to send and receive signals from the DSN for years longer, but since it won’t have enough power to run any instruments, so won’t have anything useful to send. Around 2025, it’s expected to run out of hydrazine for its thrusters (its gyros will be shut down this year to save power, so they’ll be the only way it can keep its antenna pointed at Earth), so while it’ll still have power to keep its computers up, it’ll lose its radio lock. (Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Future_of_the_probe; http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/didyouknow.html)

• 4 weeks later...

Danke. I took the moon photos with a Nikon L830 camera, and while it lacks manual controls I consider it the best camera I have ever owned. Like you, I have gone through many film cameras and a B/W darkroom setup, though all I still own is a Nikon 35mm SLR with lenses, filters, motor drive, yada, yada, yada.I don't use the dinosaur but can't part with it. Hell, I can't even give it away.

Unlike you, digital has revived photography for me. Always ready, take hundreds of shots at virtually no expense, see them instantly, and throw out what doesn't cut the mustard. Shoot video too, and that's something you could never do with a Brownie. Retouch the keepers in comfort at the computer without the hours of standing at an enlarger and the expense of chemicals and paper and the lengthy cleanup.

I also watched the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions as Walter Cronkite explained every detail in concert with interviews of the rocket scientists. As to seeing the landers, you surely are pulling my leg as no Earth based telescope can image anything that small.

Well, enjoy tonight's Moon watch. :)

I am pretty sure I claimed to have watched the lunar landings (on TV) and not to have been able to see the landing sites down here.  I still enjoy watching the phases of the moon and remembering when the space program had goals to live up to.  (BTW, I haven't been on BS in a couple of months so I am not quite up to date)