Science Forums

Is The History Of The Universe God's Effort To Remember Itself, Including Wwe History?

Mariel33

Could the entire history of the universe be the attempt by God to remember its identity...

This question reminds me of a character in the somewhat obscure late Jack Chalker’s Well World science fiction novels, who, it is revealed,

actually is God, the creator of the universe, but forgets it except when some catastrophe threatens all of existence, compelling him to remember what he is and fix the situation.

Stories about God and the purpose of the universe make for fun and heady fictional premises, but I’ve not found much serious philosophical thought around them. Scientifically, I think it’s a fairly useless idea. The closes thing like it I know of that has some intellectual appeal among scientists is Omega Point theory, which poses not that God is trying to remember who it is via the universe, but that the purpose of the universe is to produce a supremely smart entity that could reasonably be called God. In some variations, the god-at-the-end-of-time is imagined to have the ability to travel in time to the beginning of time and create the universe, making for a neat, endless, everything-spanning loop of causality.

... including in that identity WWE history?

The only expansion of the acronym WWE of which I’m aware is “World Wrestling Entertainment”, a company that produces and promotes sham wrestling (rasl’n) matches. I don’t think you mean that, Mariel, but can’t guess what you mean. Though this acronym finder webpage gives several more, none of them look to me to fit the context of your sentence.

I recommend you not use or invent acryonym that can’t be found easily in an internet search. Also, it would be better if you wrote posts longer than single sentences, and used hyperlinks. This is a philosophy forum, not Twitter!

This question reminds me of a character in the somewhat obscure late Jack Chalker’s Well World science fiction novels, who, it is revealed,

actually is God, the creator of the universe, but forgets it except when some catastrophe threatens all of existence, compelling him to remember what he is and fix the situation.

Stories about God and the purpose of the universe make for fun and heady fictional premises, but I’ve not found much serious philosophical thought around them. Scientifically, I think it’s a fairly useless idea. The closes thing like it I know of that has some intellectual appeal among scientists is Omega Point theory, which poses not that God is trying to remember who it is via the universe, but that the purpose of the universe is to produce a supremely smart entity that could reasonably be called God. In some variations, the god-at-the-end-of-time is imagined to have the ability to travel in time to the beginning of time and create the universe, making for a neat, endless, everything-spanning loop of causality.

The only expansion of the acronym WWE of which I’m aware is “World Wrestling Entertainment”, a company that produces and promotes sham wrestling (rasl’n) matches. I don’t think you mean that, Mariel, but can’t guess what you mean. Though this acronym finder webpage gives several more, none of them look to me to fit the context of your sentence.

I recommend you not use or invent acryonym that can’t be found easily in an internet search. Also, it would be better if you wrote posts longer than single sentences, and used hyperlinks. This is a philosophy forum, not Twitter!

It is wrestling that I'm referring to. I'm acquainted with the concept that God is something to be created, and is probably the more realistic idea, but I thought this was an interesting one in particular.

Suppose that the universe is God's effort to remember itself, and that WWE is included in that identity, what would have to be the logic in that? The way I see it, without WWE - as one example of billions of examples - people would find it harder to get through time, and because reality is affected by routine, it just fascinates me to wonder if the WWE could be used to explain the origin of the universe.

When human consciousness reaches the limits of it's understanding; outside the box, deeper but less conscious aspects of the mind and brain get into motion. This can induce the primitive fear of novelty or it can induce curiosity. Both the concepts of God, and the beginnings of the universe, put the mind in that special place. Some will try to avoid outside the box, with taboos and rationalizations. Others don't mind playing outside the box, exploring. There is risk outside the box. Some will not take that risk, while others are like dare devils. 

Both God and the beginnings of the universe are beyond our capacity to fully comprehend since the data is sparse or lacking. They both reside outside the box. However, there are also many people who are like the deer in the headlights; fear and curiosity. They will attempt to bring these strange things into the box, in a cage; box filters, where they can feel safe to explore. 

In western tradition, God is spirit and not matter. God already existed, as spirit, before matter or the universe was created. The formation of the material universe helps to place limits on the infinite spirit, so it becomes more finite. At the time of creation; Big Bang, infinite spirit comes to a focus, limited by a singularity; alpha and omega. The evolving universe is increasing entropy and complexity based on interaction with infinite spirit. 

In science traditions, the formation of the primordial atom of the big bang has no origin that can be proven. It is treated as a starting point. Consciousness and spirit come afterwards as matter evolves into life and then into mind. This is more in line with the premise of the topic. The evolving universe defines the steps leading to mind and then man made concepts. 

Edited by HydrogenBond

The formation of the material universe helps to place limits on the infinite spirit, so it becomes more finite. At the time of creation; Big Bang, infinite spirit comes to a focus, limited by a singularity; alpha and omega. The evolving universe is increasing entropy and complexity based on interaction with infinite spirit.

I don't at all understand what you are trying to say here.  If the infinite spirit is limited, then it isn't infinite.  What is this infinite spirit that you seem to be claiming to exist?  We can examine evidence of the big bang.  We can examine evidence of the evolving universe.  We can observe increasing entropy.  What evidence do you have for the existence of an infinite spirit?  You claim interaction with this infinite spirit, so such interaction should be readily apparent.  What interactions are you referring to?

Could the entire history of the universe be the attempt by God to remember its identity, including in that identity WWE history?

You reminded me of this novella by Scott Adams ( creator of Dilbert ).

I read it when it first appeared around 2001 and since forgotten about it.

I don't think it is meant as a serious philosophical work, but interesting all the same, and a fun read.

You reminded me of this novella by Scott Adams ( creator of Dilbert ).

I read it when it first appeared around 2001 and since forgotten about it.

I don't think it is meant as a serious philosophical work, but interesting all the same, and a fun read.

I've vaguely heard of Dilbert. I think the idea of history being God's memory can be logical, only of course trying to justify it would seem to be impossible.

Take the aspect of reality that involves the human accent; would all human thought about the accent (such as a movie producer not wanting to cast an actor because of their accent) be part of God trying to remember their identity?

Could the entire history of the universe be the attempt by God to remember its identity, including in that identity WWE history?

Say you were a scientist who was in their lab, engaged in experiments, for decades, which take up all your time; 24/7. You would be so preoccupied, that you may no longer be considered living life, in the figurative sense of smelling the roses. As you look back on your life, rather see a bunch of memorable happy and sad events, which make you who you are, decades may blur into one another, since although you did different experiments, all the days were sort of the same. 

A person on vacation, is enjoying the stimulation of the moment. This unique situation, is not lumped into a blur of routine. It stands out, in your memory, more than a routine. The birth of a child is more memorable than a year of day to day routine of caring for a baby for a year. If you were to try to remember, any given day of a routine, it will be hard to remember, unless there is a unique spin added to the routine on that day. This has to do with the way the brain creates and stores memory. Our brain is geared toward novelty or unique events; give the strongest memories. As events become routine, we get desensitized, and memory becomes weaker. 

History, in general, is written in terms of distinct unique events, like the birth of the universe. History is not about day-to day routine, but rather is about the unique. History takes advantage of the brain's capacity to reinforce novelty, more, in terms of our memory storage. History represents key events, that are unique in time and space.

This is more connected to the conscious mind, and not the unconscious, since the unconscious mind records both. God's memory, if you assume omniscience, would be more than just the unique events of history. It would also include the routine events, not included in history books. The routine, although far less memorable, is often the precursor for the unique events. Collective behavior can create potential, such that unique change appears, which is then recorded as history. 

Hardly anybody saw Trump becoming president, a year and half ago, unless you watched the boring routines of life, and not just dwell on key events. It was not in the memorable events that caused Trump to be. But rather it was in the routines that appeared from these events. When change appears, those who only think in terms of chunks of life; history books, are caught off guard.

It is like a star is born, which is memorable. It then goes billions of years burning fuel day after day, which is routine and not very memorable. This routine leads to depleting its fuel and then to a supernova, which is now historical. The routine burn, is what makes the supernova possible, yet this routine is not considered as important of the supernova, yet it can't exist without it.