Science Forums

Rubber Band Powered Car Help

I think the mechanism that would work best for this would be something like this:

post-1347-0-58356300-1482960565_thumb.png

Attach a pulley wheel ( A ) to the car’s axle

With a length of string ( B ),

connect the pulley to a pin ( C )

inserted in a hoop connected to a trap door ( D ).

Depending on the length you make the string, you can cause the trap door to open, dropping the object, at any distance you want.

@CraigD Thanks for your response, I've adapted the mechanism to my car!

I had another problem that came up. The length of my string is too long because of the diameter of the back axle and the distance I am travelling with the car.

How can I somehow organise the string so that it lines up with the pulley and does so perfectly?

How can I somehow organise the string so that it lines up with the pulley and does so perfectly?

I imagine you tape a strip of paper down to make a shallow cylindrical “bucket”, and carefully coil the lose line inside it.

Feel free to post pictures. :)

Thanks for the reply Craig!

I've tried that and that worked perfect actually. It's just that it takes quite a lot of time (~ 2 minutes) to complete wind up the string carefully.

I think it works better with a circle (with height), like a tape roll where you wind up the string. It just makes it naturally easier when placing it in the roll.

I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as my friend finishes the aesthetic component of the car (something I'm not good at haha).