Science Forums

Past Reflection

petrushkagoogol

Photons have time signatures.

What do you mean?!

Time signature” is a musical term for the numbers written at the beginning a sheet music telling what kinds of notes get a beat, and how many beats are in each bar of written music. I don’t think you mean to say that photons have them.

You should try to use recognized terms for what you mean, not just put together words that you think may be recognizable terms. Searching the internet is an easy way to do this. Id a search for a give combination of words doesn’t find any text like what you intend to say, don’t use that combination of words.

If you mean that a single photon contains some information about the time it was emitted- for example, that there is some test that can, for example, tell an astronomer “this photon was created about 2.5 million years ago, so it may have come from the Andromeda galaxy,” this isn’t true. It’s possible to measure the velocity (that is, the direction of travel), energy (which is proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength), polarity of a single photon, but more complicated data has to be encoded using many photons (for example, using a radio modulation scheme)

I had similar difficult with the rest of you post – you’re simply using so few words in such a weird way I can only guess at what you intend to say.

What do you mean?!

Time signature” is a musical term for the numbers written at the beginning a sheet music telling what kinds of notes get a beat, and how many beats are in each bar of written music. I don’t think you mean to say that photons have them.

You should try to use recognized terms for what you mean, not just put together words that you think may be recognizable terms. Searching the internet is an easy way to do this. Id a search for a give combination of words doesn’t find any text like what you intend to say, don’t use that combination of words.

If you mean that a single photon contains some information about the time it was emitted- for example, that there is some test that can, for example, tell an astronomer “this photon was created about 2.5 million years ago, so it may have come from the Andromeda galaxy,” this isn’t true. It’s possible to measure the velocity (that is, the direction of travel), energy (which is proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength), polarity of a single photon, but more complicated data has to be encoded using many photons (for example, using a radio modulation scheme)

I had similar difficult with the rest of you post – you’re simply using so few words in such a weird way I can only guess at what you intend to say.

This forum is noted for its objectivity and pluralism. I never claimed to be pedantic, and this forum encourages open dialogue which helps to both improve and improvise oneself. i hope you see it that way....