Science Forums

Learning Chinese -

inverse

hi;

I newly started. actually it is very very pleasure ,and does not seem so much difficult. also pleasure as I said.

but I would ask a query; the language is said that it was "tonal language" but how is it ??

like this one  :   天 is read as: "tiân" and means heaven. but if we read this one as "tiian" ,it will be wholly  changed ? 

Edited by inverse

Mandarin has 4 different tones. Check this article on The Atlantic our for more info on tonal languages.

hi; many thanks : coould you let me know if you also know the answers of these queries :

1) how the differences between tones are being differentiated by readers? (e.g. are the characters being changed one by one when the tone is changed,or it is something which is akin to magic generation ?) :) :)

2) I believe the previous query was IMPORTANT : because if the characters are being changed one by one for each words,then this should mean it would not be compulsory for new learners to learn it by their individual study. but if the tonal is being structured around the time of communication or at the time of communication,then making friendship with one native chinese would be compulsory for new learners. 

3) this query is divided three query

a) it is said that chinese language has almost no grammar rule :) so,how the meaning is being ordered. (via directly relation (like intuitive understanding?) 

b ) What is the most difficult with this language? , if I say I enjoyed drawing chinese characters and are also pleasure for me ,will this mean that I can learn it easily?

c) some characters are changing their shape when we look it nearer ,why ? and what to do?

Kind Regards

Edited by inverse

Well to start with, there is Mandorin and there is Cantonese. Although they are both tonal languages, they are two very different languages. I would start by declaring which one it is you're asking about, and then hopefully someone here will have some answers to your questions.

I'm afraid I am no expert - I only know a few phrases - so I cannot be of any help.

Well to start with, there is Mandorin and there is Cantonese. Although they are both tonal languages, they are two very different languages. I would start by declaring which one it is you're asking about, and then hopefully someone here will have some answers to your questions.

I'm afraid I am no expert - I only know a few phrases - so I cannot be of any help.

okay. thanks very much,though. generally intentions are important. so,why your intention is good,that you tried to help me,I only  would thank you. 

I will await for suitable response. 

okay. thanks very much,though. generally intentions are important. so,why your intention is good,that you tried to help me,I only  would thank you. 

I will  of course await for suitable response. 

• 3 weeks later...

English is a relatively easy language to learn.  I tried to learn Greek in my pre-teens and tried to learn Spanish in my late teens   I understand some of the speech in either language and can read some, but I don't speak them.  Although I was mostly immersed in English, I heard all three.

okay many thanks. (does this means that we are allowed to write in chinese?)

furthermore,I hope that I did not bother anyone with my new threads :(

Really sometimes I am finding very very interesting things.

You can write in Chinese if you want, but I don't think very many people here will be able to read it.  I suppose I understand now why your English is relatively poor, but then again English is my native language.  Translation software does not work very well as it misses many of the idioms and fails to put the translation into a logical order.  Welcome to the site.  I am a relative newcomer myself.   :beer-fresh: