Science Forums

The Nordic Food Lab Wants You To Eat Blood, Insects And Brains To Save The World

Yrtik

This is and has been normal since almost the beginning of time. We may not have had Michelin-starred chefs making these things appetising, but we've been eating insects, blood and brains, or other internal organs, for quite some time now in various cultures and traditions worldwide.

The faeces one, however, does baffle me!

This piece of news just freaked me out!!!

The thing is that today we think that it's something crazy, it can easily become normal within 30 years...

The Nordic Food Lab wants you to eat blood, insects and brains to save the world

We've eaten blood and brains for centuries. I used to eat brains casserole at the Shell office canteen, in London, at the end of the 1970s. And I've eaten sheep brains in Jordan in the 1980s.

And black pudding, boudin noir, etc. (i.e. blood sausage) are traditional in much of Europe. (Slices of fried black pudding are actually very good indeed with seared scallops.)

Insects do not feature in European cuisine, it is true. 

While it’s true that shrimp and, say, crickets are not too different, and both are arthropods (“jointed leg”), shrimp are decapod (10 legged) crustaceans, while cricket are insects. All insects are 6-legged.

You can’t even get away with calling al arthropods “bugs”, since really picky biologists insist this is an informal name of an order of insects, Hemiptera, not all of them.

Biological taxonomists group crustacians and insects and a 3rd class of 6-legged critters together into the pancrustacea clade, which separates them from critters like centipedes, but now I’m just reciting Wikipedia.

Discussions like this make me glad I’m a vegetarian – its easier to distinguish a plant from an animal than a shrimp from a cricket. :)

While it’s true that shrimp and, say, crickets are not too different, and both are arthropods (“jointed leg”), shrimp are decapod (10 legged) crustaceans, while cricket are insects. All insects are 6-legged.

You can’t even get away with calling al arthropods “bugs”, since really picky biologists insist this is an informal name of an order of insects, Hemiptera, not all of them.

Biological taxonomists group crustacians and insects and a 3rd class of 6-legged critters together into the pancrustacea clade, which separates them from critters like centipedes, but now I’m just reciting Wikipedia.

Discussions like this make me glad I’m a vegetarian – its easier to distinguish a plant from an animal than a shrimp from a cricket. :)

Not just picky biologists. To anybody who is not American, a bug is a particular type of insect.  

• 5 weeks later...

This piece of news just freaked me out!!!

The thing is that today we think that it's something crazy, it can easily become normal within 30 years...

The Nordic Food Lab wants you to eat blood, insects and brains to save the world

Soylent Green is people!!

Edited by fahrquad