Science Forums

Equivalent Words = Equivalent Emotions?

petrushkagoogol

Consider 3 common phrases - 

Thank you so much 
Good Day 
Take Care 

When saying the same words : (in the same language irrespective of accent) 

-You use the same facial muscles 
-Air flow over the vocal cords has the same pattern 
-This means air is drawn from the lungs in pretty much the same way 
-This means that heart rate is more or less same (as heart and lungs are connected) 
-This means that emotions are identical (as emotions such as anxiety are a function of heart rate). 

Do you agree ?

Consider 3 common phrases - 

Thank you so much 

Good Day 

Take Care 

When saying the same words : (in the same language irrespective of accent) 

-You use the same facial muscles 

-Air flow over the vocal cords has the same pattern 

-This means air is drawn from the lungs in pretty much the same way 

-This means that heart rate is more or less same (as heart and lungs are connected) 

-This means that emotions are identical (as emotions such as anxiety are a function of heart rate). 

Do you agree ?

Nope. All the things you list are just as true - or untrue - of "get lost", are they not? 

Edited by exchemist

When the brain writes to memory, emotional valence is added to the memory. This is useful to the animal brain, in that the same memory, when triggered by the environment, will induce the same feeling. The animals see his favorite food. He feels a good feeling and he eats. This reinforces the good feeling based on the tag to the new memory. 

As far as these three phrases, it all depends on how your brain associates each term during the creation of memory. They can be the same or different.

Language is not universal, but is highly subjective and arbitrary. For example, say we took one person from each language of the world. We gather everyone in a conference room and place an apple in the middle of the room. We will all see the same apple, even though we speak different languages. Visual is universal. However, the noises of each language can be very diverse; arbitrary and subjective, used to express what we all agree we see.

If we like apples, by seeing it, the apple on the table may induce the feeling of like, since it reinforces my memory tag. If someone says the word apple in a strange language, even if this means tasty apple, I may not get the same emotion, since I have no memory with that noise. 

Say I say Good Day to strangers .One stranger smiles and says Good Day back. This may create a good tag. The next stranger, does not even acknowledge me, but looks like I have bothered them. Now there is a different tag. There are two different tags, one for each memory application of the word. In the future, I may go through the motions of being polite, with half baked enthusiasm, based on the weighed average.

Say we use something like PC language games, where you are told what tag needs to be added to a noise. This memory writing process is based on a subjective social induction, which may not may not correspond to the objectivity of universal visual. I see the apple and feel a certain way. The PC game tells me what I need to feel, so this can be used as the tag. This can create internal problems since one is not being true to themselves; universal visual data. 

Say it is PC polite to say good day and smile at everyone as though you are having a good day. You help memory create a subjective good tag since this is polite. This may not correspond to the feedback from the environment, which visually shows that not everyone is having a good day.

I suppose the goal is to get the person into alternate reality along with you. 

Edited by HydrogenBond